Need one normal level editor ubuntu LTS 14.04 or Dosbox

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
suraku10
Grunt

Need one normal level editor ubuntu LTS 14.04 or Dosbox

Post by suraku10 »

Hi guys!
Can someone perfect "level editor" program ubuntu 14.04 LTS?
My edit keen level please, please guys ...
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

not quite sure whether you are searching for this, but nevertheless:

(A) the easiest way to use a level-editor under ubuntu might be fleexy's web-based editor called Abiathar. all you need is a Dropbox account to store the level files and graphics.

try: --> Abiathar Online (Level Editor) <--

and for further information take a look over here: Abiathar Discussion Thread
out now (link) : Image
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

(B) if you wanna keep it real, you also could choose TED5, which is a 16-bit DOS game level editor written by John Romero (the programmer behind Commander Keen).
this option needs some DOSBox skills plus you need to setup some other stuff first.

read this article: --> KeenWiki: TED5 <--

additionally this might be useful as well: Modding Tutorial
suraku10
Grunt

Post by suraku10 »

it says here TED5 error: Error loading file gfxinfoe.ck4
The TED5 folder no file gfxinfoe.ck4
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

it is important that you read the already mentioned KeenWiki: TED5 article. everything is explained over there.
here in short:
  1. download the following files:
  2. create a new folder
  3. extract all downloaded files and copy them into this new folder
  4. uncompress you Keen4.exe by opening DosBox in that folder and entering UNLZEXE KEEN4E.EXE
  5. type TEDSETUP into DOSBox (this should give you the missing gfxinfoe.ck4 file)
  6. and finally type TED5 and the editor should start.
happy modding!

EDIT: now with the corrected K4 download file.
Last edited by Nisaba on Fri Nov 25, 2016 19:25, edited 2 times in total.
suraku10
Grunt

Post by suraku10 »

garg is not working!
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

We need more information. Just saying "not working" never helps. Screenshots maybe?
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

http://pclosmag.com/html/Issues/201309/page15.html

Microsoft is allowing linux users to use test version of Windows in VirtualBox. This is what I do. Also, make sure you install the Guest Additions ISO for VirtualBox to improve the graphics performance.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

@suraku10 :
ok, checked everything.
there might be a little gap in my description above. sorry for that! so lets give it a try just one more time. same procedure as before, BUT this time with this download link:
Keen 4 (version: keen4-1.4-ega-formgen)

everything else should stay the same.
I tested it twice, so I hope you have some good results this time!

here's my DOSBox prompt + TED5 in action:
Image Image
Last edited by Nisaba on Mon Oct 22, 2018 23:04, edited 3 times in total.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

lemm wrote:Microsoft is allowing linux users to use test version of Windows in VirtualBox. This is what I do. Also, make sure you install the Guest Additions ISO for VirtualBox to improve the graphics performance.
@lemm there is also Wine + .NET + Abiathar. but to get things started I just don't wanna cause to much trouble. that's why I started with a simple solution. but yes indeed VMs are always helpful for things like these.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Starting from a fresh install, I just managed to get Abiathar (the newest and most powerful Galaxy editor) running on Ubuntu 14.04 using WINE. Setup is kind of involved, but I wrote a guide to it. Let me know if anything goes wrong; make sure to include any unexpected errors that pop up.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Fleexy wrote:Starting from a fresh install, I just managed to get Abiathar (the newest and most powerful Galaxy editor) running on Ubuntu 14.04 using WINE. Setup is kind of involved, but I wrote a guide to it. Let me know if anything goes wrong; make sure to include any unexpected errors that pop up.
oh sweet!
can you actually zoom in a bit (upscaling), or does it start to slow down after doing so plus while navigating around?
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

It does slow down some if you zoom in. I am testing this in a VM, though, with low resources and no fancy host-guest integration. WINE is constantly spewing reams of warnings on the console, so as emulation support is improved, Abiathar will likely get better.

If you're just looking for a Vorticons editor, though, I love Mindbelt. In that case, you won't need to mess with Mono and the experimental WINE stuff; the plain WINE package ought to do it.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

You know,sometimes it helps to just give new users the complete setup instead of linking them to tutorials and whatnot.

For example, here is a working setup for level editing Keen 5 with TED5, unzip and run in dosbox! https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/394 ... N5TED5.zip

There is almost no way that can fail.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Levellass wrote:You know,sometimes it helps to just give new users the complete setup instead of linking them to tutorials and whatnot.
that's very true indeed. but I remember my very early modding attempts and it helps at least me a lot to follow and reenact a given tutorial step by step to get a deeper understanding of how things work (thanx Ceilick!).
opens the phrase book: "learning by doing" closes it again

so now we have both solutions. that's a very nice basis for getting things done. is there also a third way of getting things started? anybody?