A new mod

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
shikadi
Vorticon Elite

A new mod

Post by shikadi »

So, lots of time passed, but i found some motivation to make a new mod the last 2 months.
I didn't really follow pckf the last years but apperently a lot of galaxy mods happened. i did not follow this trend so its a vorticon mods.

Download Here

Some things:
There are two batch file Start.bat (normal version) and Hard.bat (a slightly harder version)
You can't shoot, CTRL+ALT makes keen 1 tile high.
You can't die while frozen
You can stand on butler robots
I think this mod is way easier than my last output 5 years ago.

Enjoy
nothing usefull here
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

eyecandy!
out now (link) : Image
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Cool!!! Well done Shikadi! This is the kind of mod I would have really loved back in about 2003. And, you know what, I like it today for all the same reasons! It has an atmosphere of fun right from the start. All the tricks you've pulled with tiles changing on contact are elegant and elicit a chortle from the player. You try to zap an enemy, duck a little, look at the Status Screen to check out what the weapons situation is, and go "gosh darn it, lolz". I like the backgrounds and tiles, nice and colourful, that EGA blue is always a reliable feel good colour (as seen in Ceilick's Kidnapped Keen) - not the horrible sickliness of the cyan. Perhaps a few more detail tiles could have been added to the backgrounds but it's not a big deal. I'm afraid you've leaned a little to heavily on previously seen graphics from the Keen series, not to the point of ruining things, but, as always, many of us would encourage modders to strive for pure original content - the stage is yours as a modder so why not perform your heart out altogether. The levels are lovely. Some of the dark sections (for example in that big red blob level) are extremely nice, approaching the standards of some of the alltime great modders. All in all this is an encouraging effort, please continue to mod vorticons and, if you so desire, Galaxy!!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Some issues:

* Attempting to view the high scores resulted in screen flicker.

* Quitting from the middle of a game sometimes causes a gibberish screen

* You can stand on some of the deadly guys and it looks weird

*When bridges are vanished they can look a bit weird too, might want to bookend them with square tiles.

What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.