Marooned on Mars - Galaxy Mod

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

Tormentor667 wrote:Another question towards this brilliant work: When entering "Treasery", I get the message that I have insufficent memory to playback music. What can I do here?
I have not had this problem myself, But i have seen some commander let's players do with other mods (it's not really the mods fault)

You can Reset the music by hitting F1, after loading a level with no music playing, and it will start after exiting the Help screen.
However if that doesn't help, you can try a more permanent solution:

A) If you are running on a Dos/win95/win98 system, there is not much to do aside adding more ram to the system (by doubling up)

B) Or if you're Running Dosbox By adding more Memory in a configuration file.
which can also the amount of random screen stutters
and much faster level loading increasing the Processor Cycles
The Difference Between a Mod and Fan art?, a Fan art is a Concept and a Mod is that Concept put into life.
Tormentor667
Vortininja

Post by Tormentor667 »

@Dr. Colossus - Thanks for the fix, I will try it as soon as I am back home

@Zilem - Thanks for the kind explanation, I will also try "B" as soon as I am back home and see if it gets any better. I am running DOSBox
Tormentor667
Vortininja

Post by Tormentor667 »

Okay, the ice cannon is working now but I still have the memory issue.

Can someone share his version of CK5 with which it is workin? Or maybe a different DOSBOX config?
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

yaus!
stunning yorpy Yorps. that's sweet.

I have a few minor nitpicks concerning the Yorp's behaviour. @Levellass... which of the following might be viable?
  • I miss that little knee-jerk Yorps-stots
  • in your version one can stun a Yorp by simply touching them while jumping. looks a bit odd though. (in K1 one had to bounce on their heads, here it isn't necessary... intended?)
  • furthermore the sound of stunning only appears in whole length when touching them while jumping. head-hopping will sadly interrupt the soundfile.
  • in K1 Keen can slide a splitseconds over the Yorps while skimming their heads
  • also comparing to K1: pogoing Yorps disables the pogo. implementation possible?
  • refreshing time is 4 sec? give em 5!
Last edited by Nisaba on Mon Oct 22, 2018 23:22, edited 1 time in total.
out now (link) : Image
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I did figure you'd want some adjustments.

1.) Don't know what you mean by that one there.

2.) It is possible to produce a more precise bopping if you'd like, will take until I have more free time.

3.) The stun sound has a lower priority, this is not the patches fault, to fix it you have to find the sound you;re using for stunning and make it more important so it's not interrupted by other sounds. (It might be nice to edit it to resemble the original Keen 1 sound too. A few sounds could be edited that way.)

4.) The slipping is a bit of a bug in Keen 1, implementing it in Keen 5 would be tricky.

5.) I can also make Yorps disable Keen's pogoing.

6.)

This part of the patch, specifically the $10, controls the stunned time, making it larger will make the Yorps take longer to unstun. $0014W is 5 seconds I believe.

Code: Select all

%patch $3D6D $55 $8B $EC $56 $8B $76 $06 $FF $44 $3E $8B $44 $3E $3D $0010W
             $72 $05 $C7 $44 $1C $29E6W  $5E $5D $CB
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

1) "knee-jerk Yorps-stots": Image
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Aaah, you want them to jump a bit? That can be done, not sure if I mentioned it but the patch frees up some space to make the Koraths bounce around.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
NewKeen
Grunt

Post by NewKeen »

Dr.Colossus, thank you so much for this. I love this game!
Well, I played several hours. Here are some suggestions:

1- The game keeps crashing:

2- Dialogues:
The game:

But it could be something like this:

3- Improve the demos:

4- Others:

a- Intro:

b- Improve the design of the t-shirt

Again, thanks!
Last edited by NewKeen on Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:25, edited 2 times in total.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

quick question:

is there a reason for collecting that yellow key in the Ice Shrine? and what about that secret "exit"?

Image Image
Dr.Colossus
Vortininja

Post by Dr.Colossus »

Nisaba wrote:quick question:

is there a reason for collecting that yellow key in the Ice Shrine? and what about that secret "exit"?

Image Image
No, there is no reasen to collect the gem. It's just like in the original game.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

I see... think I need to consult K1 again for some closer inspections. it's been a while... obvious!
by the way, stunning the Cave Garg cause a displacement of those stun stars... (you might already have noticed)

but nevertheless, I again enjoy playing this mod very much.
(wird es ein update für die Yorps sowie für die Garg-Dialoge geben?)

EDIT:
yaus! I almost forgot about this one. I love your cloudy adaption:
Image Image

If I remember this correctly (and I was only seven years of age when trying this for the first time), one could stun these Gargs by shooting through walls...
Image Image
oh, that's so bodacious. I even can remember when I told my friend this trick back then. He came over to my house and we both played this very level over and over again, looking for more single placed pixels. what an excitement! sweet, sweet memories!
Dr.Colossus
Vortininja

Post by Dr.Colossus »

Nisaba wrote:(wird es ein update für die Yorps sowie für die Garg-Dialoge geben?)
I hope.
Nisaba wrote:yaus! I almost forgot about this one. I love your cloudy adaption:
Image Image
In contrast to other games, in the Galaxy series there are no floating Areas (like the Platforms in Mario). And that's one big reason why I like the Keen games so much. So I had the option to make an ice cave level or the cloud platform variant.
Nisaba wrote:If I remember this correctly (and I was only seven years of age when trying this for the first time), one could stun these Gargs by shooting through walls...
Image Image
Yes. But the walls didn't look good when I first tried that out. The spawn hight of the raygun is a bit differnt to K1 and it was always a bit weird.
But in contrast to the original game, in the galaxy versions Keen can shoot downwards while jumping. So I thought this would compensate this situation.
BlueGasMask
Vorticon Elite

Post by BlueGasMask »

It's taken forever but I've finally finished a track designed for the final level!

You can download it here and if you like it you can go to my Soundcloud and give it a like/repost.
Tormentor667
Vortininja

Post by Tormentor667 »

BlueGasMask wrote:It's taken forever but I've finally finished a track designed for the final level!

You can download it here and if you like it you can go to my Soundcloud and give it a like/repost.
Nice one but too fast and hectic in my eyes. The final level needs a calmer and more dangerous track imo
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Tormentor667 wrote:Nice one but too fast and hectic in my eyes. The final level needs a calmer and more dangerous track imo
Too Hot.

Every level should feature Too Hot.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass