Level name tool

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Level name tool

Post by Levellass »

Because someone asked.

This is just a simple tool for Keen 5 (Though Keen4 and 6 could easily enough be added.) that lets you type in level names and entry texts into a text file and generate a patch file when the program is run. It automatically optimizes the level name packing so that you can fit in as much text as possible without fancy tricks. It's just something for the new patcher who has issues with such things.

It comes with the default Keen 5 stuff all set up here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3940020/KNAM5.zip

That is all, proceed about your business.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I think this is actually pretty useful for those not knowing or caring much about patching. Good job. I love seeing obscure modding tools like this. Of course, would be even better if it recognized the maximum available space for strings. Not that I have the energy to do things like that, either - even if it would be a very simple matter. :old
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

This will make my Keen 5 mod easier.
Yeah, piece of cake!
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Nice tool. Thank you for releasing it. It will be useful in 20 years when I finally get around to making a mod.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

KeenRush wrote:I think this is actually pretty useful for those not knowing or caring much about patching. Good job. I love seeing obscure modding tools like this. Of course, would be even better if it recognized the maximum available space for strings. Not that I have the energy to do things like that, either - even if it would be a very simple matter. :old
It's surprisingly tricky. Line length depends on the width of characters you use while the total name-entry space is unlikely to be exceeded by a novice patcher. At any rate, as mentioned Keen 4 and 6 versions are waiting in the wings, as it were, if needed.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Levellass wrote:It's surprisingly tricky. Line length depends on the width of characters you use while the total name-entry space is unlikely to be exceeded by a novice patcher.
I didn't know that! I only meant about keeping track of the amount of bytes the original strings use, I didn't consider any other issues. :dopekeen
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

THAT is just annoying. Level 1, you can't have more than 15 characters for that name. Level 2, 31 characters, level 3, 15 again... THAT is often exceeded by a novice patcher. That's why this tool just adds them all together in one big chunk. In theory the game will run a tiny fraction slower when loading level entry text but come on, DosBox.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Updated the tool so it combines level entry and names. This lets you squeeze about 30-40% more out of the level name space. (Specifically there's no point having both 'Keen goes to name' and 'name' patched, you can use part of the entry text AS a name in most cases.)

Hope this helps with whoever is using this.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

yaus!
that's what I was looking for!
neat!
out now (link) : Image
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Levellass wrote:[...] as mentioned Keen 4 and 6 versions are waiting in the wings, as it were, if needed.

so, there is actually a request for a K6-version of the tool of yours. Interest comes from Blorbatrix, posting can be found at keenmodding: Are more than 18 maps possible in Keen 6?
out now (link) : Image
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

All three Galaxy episodes versions can be found here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3940020/LNAMES.zip

It will be added to TutoriaTools when the next update of my tutorial is posted.