Social Networking for Commander Keen Mods

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Commander Spleen wrote:With the latest Morticore submission, I've started adding an option to play online using emdosbox. There have also been entries for Lego Keen and Clouds Unseen since the last post here.

http://jimage.org/keen/playmod/morticore.html
I wasn't aware of em-dosbox at all.
This is so neat.

if possible, we should implement this somehow. I'd vote for it.
out now (link) : Image
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

It's what they use for the MS-DOS Software Library at archive.org. For a long time I've wanted to get something similar happening for Keen mods, but only recently figured out how to get it compiled.

It's very straightforward to generate the files for each mod. Would be pretty simple to adapt it to a PHP script for a versatile mod arcade and incorporate it into the wiki.

I'm going to start setting up a bunch more starting with my own mods. But to run it at a larger scale it would probably have to be set up somewhere with a more wholesale bandwidth arrangement as it would start getting too expensive to run it via my NearlyFreeSpeech account. Perhaps the servers the forums are moving to are an option for this.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

this sounds like real good plans to me.

can you please share your compiling and setting up experiences?! I'm thinking of a dirty lil how to do kind of thing...
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

I have unlimited data in/out, so I think that could work. I'm sure Keen mods won't make an appreciable difference in the 50GB storage limit.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

##COMING TO A SERVER NEAR YOU##

##2017'S LARGEST RELEASE##

"Commander Keen in: The Biggest Mod I Ever Saw!"
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Nisaba
Janitress

Re: emdosbox for the keenwiki

Post by Nisaba »

Commander Spleen wrote: I've started adding an option to play online using emdosbox. [...] It's very straightforward to generate the files for each mod. Would be pretty simple to adapt it to a PHP script for a versatile mod arcade and incorporate it into the wiki.
I'd like to highlight this one more time, because I think this is a real neat feature which should get implemented!
open question: what is needed to get things done?
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Re: Social Networking for Commander Keen Mods

I'll start a new thread for the emdosbox stuff soon with further details on how to make it work.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

I am very much looking forward to that. this is going to be an exciting neat feature!
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Commander Spleen wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:48 I'll start a new thread for the emdosbox stuff soon with further details on how to make it work.
knock, knock... any news yet? I'm still really excited about this option!
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Oh, this completely slipped my mind and I never got around to contacting Spleen. I still have a ton of disk space on this server where I can host things. That said, I'd prefer not to run new server-side code here, since I don't have a way to isolate it from the forums.

Spleen, would hosting the static stuff here and accessing it from an app on your site work? If it's entirely client-side, I'd be happy to put the whole thing up here and even give it a subdomain of keenmodding.org.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Still got this in mind, just had so many other things going on.

Just some basic PHP stuff for the page itself. The heavy scripting is client side Javascript. Shouldn't have any notable impact on the server.