[v2.11.3] Abiathar: The superior Keen Galaxy editor

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Nisaba wrote:ps.: but I'm still looking for an indicator which tells the name of the currently opened .adeps file. working on multiple sessions at the same time might cause confusions from time to time.
That's a great idea. I'll be sure to include it in the next update.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that in this update, I also added a better error message for extension load failures caused by the Zone.Identifier tag. Hopefully that will reduce confusion for people who develop and use extensions. (Thanks to KeenRush for reminding me of that problem.)
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

speaking of extensions: have you ever thought about implementing something like that GalaxyView tool by K1n9 Duk3, which allows to extract maps plus sprites.

As you might have noticed I'm a bit into that graphic-updating thing for the Keen wiki. sometimes it takes me ages to insert the enemy sprites at the right spots. so a solution within abiathar will be appreciated. maybe in a extension kind of manner?
What do you think?
out now (link) : Image
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Very nice. I shall use this on my current project, which has some novel non-link infoplane values that can confuse things.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

UPDATE
v2.8.5: more tool improvements

It's been a while since I've pushed out an update! I've improved a few small things.

The conveyor tile properties (both directions, plus a weird jiggling effect) now appear for all Galaxy episodes because they work in all episodes! Even existing dependency files will get the new properties magically upgraded in.

The number format settings are now respected by all tools. Before, the Tile Property Modifier and Level Inspector (among others) would always show coordinates in decimal even when you had chosen such numbers to show in hex, but that's fixed now.

A weird glitch in the Tile Instance Remapper involving (0, 0) as a selection corner was fixed.

The Tile Property Modifier now lets you right-click a tile to set the current tile's animation link to it and then select the new tile, for ease of making loops. If you hold Shift while right-clicking, it will only create the link without selecting anything else.

The current dependency file's name now shows in the title bar of the main window.

A couple new methods and a new event bus appeared in the extension API. Most notably, extensions can now test for the presence of other extensions and then communicate with those other extensions using the new "measurement" system.

The UNLZEXE program is now downloaded on demand instead of coming packed in the Abiathar executable. That shaves off a full megabyte.

Those are the new features, but I'd like to remind everyone of the mini-palettes that were introduced in v2.4. You can press Alt+Up and Alt+Down followed by a numeric keypad digit to store or get (respectively) a tile in your mini-palette for the most recently active plane. It's a pretty neat feature, in my opinion.

Get the new version with the automatic updater, or download ZIP.

Happy modding!
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Dropbox wrote:Error (429)
This account's links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!
cute!
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Well done Fleexy, you broke Dropbox.

One could say you... dropped it. 8)
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Whoops, I guess things are broken at the moment. I've contacted Dropbox. If you're really eager to get the new version, you can download the ZIP from the Amazon S3 cloud.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Code: Select all

' Settings for the Export Image menu option
BitmapExporter: {
  ' Crop out the 2-tile-wide level border
 ClipLevelBorders: False
  ' Respect the current zoom level (uses 16 pixels per tile if False)
 PreserveZoomLevel: False
  ' Remove the 'image saved' confirmation message
 SuppressConfirm: False
  ' Generate filename from level info: %l = level name, %n = level number, %p = Abiathar directory, %d = resource directory, %f = .adeps name
 AutoFilename: %n %l.png
}
won't work with version 2.8.5...
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Impressive, impressive. (Noting though, is it possible to implement UNLZEXE in Abiatar itself? How complex is its code?)

These are some nifty and welcome changes. (Wondering if that weird jiggly effect relates to the switches in Keen 6, must investigate.)
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Thanks for the note, Nisaba. That bug only happens when you're working on a new project, so saving the dependency file will get around it. I think that problem has been there for quite a while, actually. I'll fix it in the next version. Sorry about that.

Levellass, it looks like UNLZEXE is a little tricky but not too bad. (I'm not sure why the UNLZEXE program is so huge, then. 1MB to just decompress stuff!) There's also C source code for it, but my C is weak. I'll look into it.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Fleexy wrote:Thanks for the note, Nisaba. That bug only happens when you're working on a new project, so saving the dependency file will get around it. I think that problem has been there for quite a while, actually. I'll fix it in the next version. Sorry about that.
nope! it also appears on already dependancy wise saved projects. over here I cannot get around this prob.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Fleexy wrote:C source code for it, but my C is weak. I'll look into it.
int isjapan(void);
and
#define iskanji(c)
Those are amusing functions to have. Understandable, but amusing.
That does seem rather large for the size of the source code though.
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Nisaba wrote:nope! it also appears on already dependancy wise saved projects. over here I cannot get around this prob.
Just to be clear, it produces a "Failed to save image" message (or something to that effect)? Also check that the level's name doesn't have any characters that are illegal in file names, like a question mark or a pipe. If the problem is still happening, I'll send you a debug build tomorrow.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

oh fleexy.... shame on me!!!
it does say "Failed to save image" but of course I used some illegal characters. damn! sorry I bothered you on that, it was all my fault.
so by deleting those characters everything works just fine.

Last edited by Nisaba on Mon Oct 22, 2018 23:07, edited 1 time in total.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Hmmmn, may need to autodetect those.

The horrors of typography.