The Banana Mod

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

This bootleg mod, will it take place on The Planet Of Unspeakable Spikyness?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Wth Jerry appears out of nowhere again to give us a Spleenstyle release? Cheers Jerry.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Glad to see the Wheelchair Steve engine being put to good use!
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

I was watching some Olympic Short Track Speed Skating, and felt like playing something fast. Just beat this mod now. Unbelievable. A fantastic mod to be sure! This is one of my favorites! Level 6 was especially awesome. I love the way the levels work. Even the README was a good read. Bravo!
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Double Post!

Hey there! I'm working on a mod (or better said, a levelpack) that borrows heavily from this Banana Mod. I hope to have it ripe and ready to go by the 25th Anniversary of Commander Keen as a warm-up for Canteloupe Quest.

While poking around, I notice that the Overworld does not have the usual two-tile border, and when I added it, that weird opening glitch goes away. So the lack of the border seems to be the source of that problem. Just wanted to let you know, Herry Jerry.

I'll post a pic in an attempt to show you what I mean:

screenshot

It's that cyan tile with the scwiggly waves going through it. It's found besides (one tile to the right) the Background tile (the one that replaces point items when collected) which is the color of the sky (Dark Cyan). You turned it light gray for the insides of the buildings.
It's tile #144 in Mindbelt.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

NO WAI!!! IT'S FINALLY FINISHED!!!!!1111!!%$^%@#^#%#&$

*checks date on first post*

2013.... hmmm.......
how did I miss this? :o
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Herry Jerry
Vortininja

Post by Herry Jerry »

Holy garg, it's been over 2 1/2 years since I released this? And, uh, nearly that long since I did any work on it whatsoever?* Time sure does fly, apparently.

I'm excited to see your levelpack, TsK! Goodness knows I didn't do as much with the concept as I could have, and it'll be interesting to see where someone else goes with it. :) (also to answer your question in IRC yesterday, yeah I use(d) mindbelt, it's p. much the best)

That's kind of an odd fix for that glitch, but I guess it's fitting since it was a bit of an odd glitch. (I'm assuming you're talking about the glitch where the wrong map area is displayed until you move around a bit at the beginning, here.) I'll be sure to keep it in mind if I ever, um, get around to finishing this. :o

*last progress I made was in feb. 2014, according to a tweet I made. this tweet also said that I might get it finished for keen day 2014, which, lol. (for posterity or something, here's the tweet where you can laugh at my naïveté, and here's the Progress contained in the subsequent tweet)
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Thanks, Jerry! I wasn't able to get the important patches to work properly in my mod so I decided to use your game files instead. Rather unorthodox if you ask me. Been working on it for two days straight. Just need to fix up LEVEL90.CK1 and build all the levels. https://youtu.be/8SOlak6C4_A
Herry Jerry wrote: That's kind of an odd fix for that glitch, but I guess it's fitting since it was a bit of an odd glitch. (I'm assuming you're talking about the glitch where the wrong map area is displayed until you move around a bit at the beginning, here.)
That's exactly what I'm talking about. Adding a 2-tile border of that particular tile #144 gets rid of that glitch.

That tweet & pic is great! Thanks for sharing! The all-new super deluxe 2 version is gonna be gooooood. Just think of it was compatible with sloped tiles.. :drool
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I remember stumbling across the patch that gives scrolling levels without all the screen movement. There's a few interesting ways of tweaking this sort of thing.
Nisaba
Janitress

Re:

Post by Nisaba »

Levellass wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:13 I remember stumbling across the patch that gives scrolling levels without all the screen movement. There's a few interesting ways of tweaking this sort of thing.
WHAT?! plz tell me all about it!
Am I getting this right, you've stumbled across a patch which provides looping the level, so one can go off the right level edge and appear on the left edge of the level seamlessly?! this 'd be super exciting. I'd love to use this patch! please share your knowledge levellass.
out now (link) : Image
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Re: The Banana Mod

Post by keenmaster486 »

I love how we nonchalantly resurrect years-old threads here.
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Yeah our forum is not so busy that bumping is intrusive lol.

This is one of the most fun mods out there. We haven't heard much from Herry Jerry of late... it would be nice to see more of his work.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Re: Re:

Post by Levellass »

Nisaba wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:37
Levellass wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:13 I remember stumbling across the patch that gives scrolling levels without all the screen movement. There's a few interesting ways of tweaking this sort of thing.
WHAT?! plz tell me all about it!
Am I getting this right, you've stumbled across a patch which provides looping the level, so one can go off the right level edge and appear on the left edge of the level seamlessly?! this 'd be super exciting. I'd love to use this patch! please share your knowledge levellass.
It's detailed on the KeenWiki here: http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Patch:S ... _levels.29

The patch isn't perfect if you want to scroll left for example, but illustrates how level looping works.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

By chance I just randomly played this mod again last week. It was even better than I remembered. It truly is a great mod.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Nisaba
Janitress

Re: Level Loop without all the screen movement

Post by Nisaba »

I was especially referring to the screen movement:
out now (link) : Image