Retrosis [Second Incremental Release! July 29, 2010]

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Pretty sure I designed most of them so you can just jump through. Never really thought to use the pogo. Perhaps it affords an extra degree of precision for that height.

I mean... yep, completely intentional feature.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

What I would like to know: are the levels as balanced as I hoped? I was originally aiming to keep the hazards to a minimum and make the consequence of failing a puzzle non-terminal, making the focus more on exploration than reflexes. But in the end, I think it ended up far too harsh. Thinking of going through and removing a great many kill tiles for the next release.
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

The balance seems good, but I've found another place one can get stuck. From the start on the map head up to the orange structure. Pogo up and to the right, so you're near the evil grinning face, and then try to slide under the opening to the left, with the miscolored blue blocks beneath. If you fail that slide, you're trapped. :(

Most of my deaths so far have been to death tiles, for what its worth, which I haven't found frustrating. :) Most of it is player incompetence... haha
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

XkyRauh wrote:The balance seems good, but I've found another place one can get stuck. From the start on the map head up to the orange structure. Pogo up and to the right, so you're near the evil grinning face, and then try to slide under the opening to the left, with the miscolored blue blocks beneath. If you fail that slide, you're trapped. :(
True, but everytime this has happened to me, I've only pressed the shoot button again (and faced left) and the game kind of "spits" me to the left side.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Oops, looks like I forgot to put teleporters on those tiles. Also, you're not meant to be able to pogo up there. The idea was you had to activate the bridge first. Some editing will have to transpire there.
Keenfan
Vortininja

Post by Keenfan »

I really like the balance, too. So far I didn't get frustrated.
ZidaneA
Shikadi Master

Post by ZidaneA »

I seem to have some kind of graphical problem. In the beginning,

Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Well, I get that too. I think it's just work in progress.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

PROTIP: Keen is not word pad. When you want a line return it must be $0D $0A, just like in NOTEPAD. Your story looks quite messy.

Some of your pole tiles are around the wrong way (Blue sky background-wise)

The status box has an out-of-box white square in it, probably you shifted something incorrectly instead of just wiping it.

Exit looks a bit odd when you leave.

You may want to make your icecube eyes blend into wall edges a bit better.

All in all, what I've seen so far is awesomely creative.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Keenfan
Vortininja

Post by Keenfan »

Any news on this one?
I'm really looking forward to the final release!
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

No major news at this stage, besides a bit of progress on the map graphics and structure and some work toward a tutorial level.

And yep, most of those graphical problems are known. Thanks for the detailed feedback though. They'll be fixed in the next release (along with some extra stuff LLa pointed out that I hadn't noticed.)
Keenfan
Vortininja

Post by Keenfan »

And what about this one? ;-) :-P
Keenfan wrote:Here is the place where I get stuck:

If you jump into the room with the moving thumb, you can't get out.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Aye, that will be fixed too. :disguised
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Original first post, for the sake of posterity:

This mod has been in the works since 2004. It's gone through a lot of crazy development here and there, but lately I've decided it's time my mods see the light of day, and what better day for it than Keen Day?

So, after a week and a half of mad rushed development, here's what I have so far of my secondary mod. Please forgive its presently unpolished state. My objective was to get it as finished as possible by midnight on Mort Day in my timezone. Flaws and all. It's now about quarter past, so here goes.

I am not labeling this a beta or anything, but instead going with a progressive release system, where bits of the mod are updated and improved through subsequent releases.

In Retrosis you are not Keen. You are an eyeball that can pogo. Instead of shooting, you can duck. And if you get a run-up or jump through the air at a gap in the wall, you can slide.

That should get you started. There are a number of things you'll have to figure out on your own at this point, but I'll explain them in more detail when I'm not about to pass out.

So, for now, here's release zero. Use the link above to download it.

I'll add some screenshots in the daylight hours. I encourage anyone who is so inclined to ninja me on it.

A notable bug is that the balloons don't work as intended yet, so there's actually no point collecting them until a patch I've requested is completed. There's also music to go with the mod, but the TSR utility for that is awaiting Napalm to finish it.

Now, off to sleep goes I, leaving you to enjoy this chaotic release.
Keenfan
Vortininja

Post by Keenfan »

Great, a new release and MUSIC! :-)
I've been looking forward to a new version for a long time so I'm glad it's out now. I'll start playing right now.