Retrosis [Second Incremental Release! July 29, 2010]

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Sternly and unamusedly: Yay.

;)
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

That was pretty interesting. I particularly liked the title music and the faces. The crouching puzzles weren't always that fun though (the jumping one inside the graduate's hat level is just annoying).
Wow look at me I'm lurking
Keenfan
Vortininja

Post by Keenfan »

I finally played through the new version and I really enjoyed it!
The tutorial level was great, especially because I never found out how to open exits.

The graphics have improved and the music is just great and fits in perfectly.

I discovered some minor bugs and I was unable to complete some of the levels, though. I'll upload pictures in a week for that.

I'm still lokking forward to the final release! This mod is just great!
Nisaba
Janitress

Re: Retrosis [Second Incremental Release! July 29, 2010]

Post by Nisaba »

pretty sleek mod, I must say. love the gameplay.
@Commander Spleen please tell me which Level Editor did you use for creating this splendid eye-ball game?!
out now (link) : Image
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Whereas I don't know, I would guess that he's been using tools of his own make - this editor in particular: http://keenmodding.org/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1943
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

@KeenRush Ah! thanx for that hint.

(off topic: Lately I was playing some of your Vorticon mods as well. Fall Up is absolutely impressive. And I'm totally in love with the colour scheme of that auto-scrolling Extinction creation of yours.
but please tell me, there a way of using lemm's auto-scrolling patch to loop the level like seen in Herry Jerry's Banana Mod, right? I was wondering whether it might be possible to loop a level without the scrolling effect?! what I'm looking for is going off the right level edge and appearing on the left edge of the level seamlessly BUT without the auto-scrolling. like an infinite level so to say. )

[EDIT: @KeenRush plz head over to this post http://keenmodding.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... 291#p21291]
out now (link) : Image
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Retrosis goes back a long time and has migrated between KeenWright, iKeen and Mindbelt. Don't think I've worked on it since making my Levelderp editor, but that will be the one I'll use to finish this mod.

The version of Mindbelt I was using in 2010 had a tendency to crash when drawing rectangles with negative dimensions (i.e. right-to-left/bottom-to-top) leading to occasional IRC rage on #pckf which came to be known as Rectangle Fury. It was fixed eventually. This was probably also during the time ckguy pretended to be Mink while Mink was absent for an extended time.

A few more things have been fixed since that version of Levelderp posted on Keen:Modding, but there are still a number of bugs I have identified to solve before uploading another. At that point I'll also release some ready-to-use binaries.
Snortimer
Vortininja

Post by Snortimer »

Attracted by the attractive graphics and high praise, I loaded this up and played it on the bus today.
It is obviously unfinished (the original stunned Yorp and dead Keen graphics felt especially out of place, as well as the blue rectangle that appears when you exit a level), but what was there looked quite good.

The story was very nice. :)

Unfortunately, my overall impression was frustration with the learning curve. The first level I started on was the little green building to the left, and you start out immediately in a place surrounded by those one-way arrows with rooms beyond them, and with several "Yorps". The relative lack of deadly hazards was good. But I couldn't practice in peace, because I needed a good running start, but the Yorps kept getting in the way, or I'd bump into the wall and not slide through.

I think that in the very beginning, it should be possible for the player to practice the new technique and get good at it without frustration, and to obtain ALL the goodies in that first, easy level. So this means that the slidey walls should be ONE block thick at the beginning, not two, and there shouldn't be so many Yorps to frustrate things (at least, not both those things at once, maybe Yorps in one room and slidy wall puzzles in another).

And this very first, easy level should be the mandatory first one on the map, so the user cannot wander off into a hard one right off the bat.

As it was, I could see goodies that I couldn't reach, or could only get through to after way too many tries, and just got frustrated.
Member since at least 1998 with... ah... some long absences. I was even a moderator at one point. I'll probably keep coming back here and there as long as this place still exists.