Abandoned/ Unfinished Keen mods thread

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Dr.Colossus
Vortininja

Abandoned/ Unfinished Keen mods thread

Post by Dr.Colossus »

What are your mods that you started to make but never got the time to finish them?
I have quite a few of that and I think you guys too.

I start with one of my early alpha mods. The enemy sprites are finished and the patching is almost done. But I didn't make it further. No tiles or other graphics and there is only one test level to play.

In this mod, Keen would fight the Aliens. He is armed with a shotgun.

Instead of the pogo he can throw granades.

There are surely a lot of innovative ideas out there. I'm interested in your ideas and what you have planned to make.
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Re: Abandoned/ Unfinished Keen mods thread

Post by Plasma Captain »

Yeah, okay, sure. It's not like I'm ever going to have the time to complete this.

The whole reason why I joined the modding forum some years ago was for the purpose of asking questions, if I remember correctly. I was working on a mod of Keen 4. It was supposed to be the first part of a trilogy of mods (4, 5, and 5 again). The story was planned out from start to finish, though I didn't have names for the episodes.

Here are 6 screenshots from the last build of the first episode.

The world map was basically completely functional, but no level maps had been made. I was in the process of making the tileset when I eventually gave up because I found the palette limitations difficult to work with at the time, given the detailed perspective. All of the items had been redrawn. Several enemies had been sprited and patched. I had some really interesting ideas for some of them, or at least I think so.

In the second screenshot down from the left, you can see a Dort-like character (it's renamed - see below).

Here are some samples from the mod's text:
Squeezy Juice (100 points)

Snack Cake (200 Points)

Lemonsicle (500 points)

Veggie Sub (1000 points)

Long John (2000 points)

Ice Cream Sundae (5000 points)
The Space Bandits have already begun to use their stolen technology to assemble a small army. Here are some of the foes you may encounter:
SPACE BANDIT. These mysterious aliens have been causing mischief in the Milky Way for decades, but now they have gone too far! Their abilities are unknown.

PINCUSHION. Distant cousins of the Bounders, Pincushions have adapted to more hostile environments. They are considerably less friendly than their counterparts.

VOZAEON ACCELERATOR CORE. Experimental devices that can open temporary holes in space-time. The Space Bandits intend to use them together to power a devastating weapon. They must be neutralized!

RICOSHAVE. An indestructible razor trap that bounces up and down rapidly.

GOPLAT. These simple creatures are friendly enough to offer you a ride over difficult terrain.

ELECTROLIFT. You can ride these hovering robots, but watch out - they detect and attack intruders.
I had also put together a basic replacement song for "Too Hot" and was working on a second song.

I'd show more, including what the Space Bandits look like, but like most people, I cling on to the fleeting, foolish hope that one day I could actually make this happen, so I don't want to spoil it all.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

@Dr.Colossus: Pretty good spritework there! Did you know there is an Aliens mod for Keen 1? (Not trying to discourage (even if it's abandoned), just noting the fact.)

@Plasma Captain: Sounds good and looks that, too. Is it a space western? That title screen is amazing. Definitely hoping this one progresses at some point.

As for me, the problem isn't the lack of time but the lack of energy - and sheer despair. I tend to start with projects, work for a while, then my energy level drops, and then I never return to the project. But the projects that manage to get past a certain stage, they tend to progress slowly and I seldom abandon them.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

KeenRush wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 16:01@Plasma Captain: Sounds good and looks that, too. Is it a space western? That title screen is amazing. Definitely hoping this one progresses at some point.
Thanks. Yeah, it kind of is - it's supposed to have that sort of atmosphere, anyway. The idea of the unused desert town appealed to me so I wanted to do something like that. So Keen is sent to catch rogues on an old, abandoned planetoid.

I doubt it's at the same level, but, the energy thing gets me too. This mod felt like too much effort and so I kind of gave up after a while.

...It occurs to me that I got so caught up in posting my own Garg that I didn't comment on Doc's. I don't really know a lot about Alien but the weapon mods are really intriguing to me. I'd love to play something like that in the future.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Wow, cool stuff guys. I really like your creature designs, Plasma Captain, particularly those flying things on the title screen!

This is from a night of doodling that never went anywhere 5ish years ago:

Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

beware everybody!
as you might have noticed, I have an obsession with detecting abandoned stuff in order to resurrect long lost and forgotten but neat ideas. you better protect your unfinished stuff or who knows what will happen to it.
I've been sneaking around threads like this quite a bit and came across some pretty neat graphics (hail to XkyRaugh). so before levellass can... I'm gonna let you know that I'm about to rip the best parts out of your graphics for my upcoming mod "FitF".

@Dr. Colossus
have seen this before somewhere... I'm gonna use the flowery thing, if you don't mind.

@Plasma Captain
oh, I like your Bounder/Blowfish (Pincushion) interpretation. gonna steal this idea right away.
and man, your song is hot! it's near to perfect. a third voice might be nice... but I'd love to borrow this track anyway.

@KeenRush
haven't forgotten about "good-bye blue pearl". it's just time that is killing me atm. gonna send you a email soon... so stay tuned

@Ceilick
Interesting idea. is it a sketch or were you about to create a mono greyish world? by the way, how is your mod "Sign of the Vool" coming along?
Last edited by Nisaba on Sun Jun 18, 2017 20:48, edited 1 time in total.
out now (link) : Image
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

That's a screenshot. It would have been a 1 level mod.

I'm sketching for SOTV at this moment :p Nothing groundbreaking or news worthy yet.
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

@Ceilick That looks tight. There's an unfortunate lack of mods that venture beyond the realm of the Keen universe...

@Nisaba: Sure, go ahead~
I'm... surprised that you like the song that much; thanks. Normally music doesn't turn out so well for me (especially that long ago).
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Plasma Captain wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 13:34 @Ceilick That looks tight. There's an unfortunate lack of mods that venture beyond the realm of the Keen universe...
well, there are a few mods with a setting way beyond the Keenieverse:
Plasma Captain wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 13:34 @Nisaba: Sure, go ahead~
I'm... surprised that you like the song that much; thanks. Normally music doesn't turn out so well for me (especially that long ago).
if you don't mind, I'd like to ask you to pm me the Pincushion sprites. I really like to make use of this enemy. in my imagination it is floating through the air. love to include it! btw how does a Ricoshave look like?
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

I guess there were a few more than I'd remembered.

I've sent a PM.
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

I have a handful of unfinished sprites, many of them still sit unfinished within Photoshop documents and not all are for keen or the likes
like these for Chasm (as other games like Terraria, Crypt of the Necro Dancer and Stardew Valley)
Image Image Image

But i have a handful of unused sprites variants for Keen/Bio Menace:
like the Pyramid of beacon, which i re-did as it was meant to be Poles. but there might still be a use for this?

And this bunch of Sprite that is current unused, some are unfinished
ImageImageImage Image
Image Image Image
Image Image
- the bound Keen and Lindsey are tweaked version of the once in Szemigi's The Grand Inteligence IV
Dr.Colossus wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:56 I start with one of my early alpha mods. The enemy sprites are finished and the patching is almost done. But I didn't make it further. No tiles or other graphics and there is only one test level to play.
I'm fairly sure Xenomorph's have a space in an Alternate version of "The Terror From Outer Space" <3
a Shotgun isn't much a keen thing, as he prefers to stun extraterrestrials and not kill them
maybe a new Character, like a son of Dangerous Dave?
The Difference Between a Mod and Fan art?, a Fan art is a Concept and a Mod is that Concept put into life.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

the tomato! the tomato! the tomato!

and I'm in love with the tied up sprites. I'd love to use all of them, if you don't mind!
very good drawing!!
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

Nisaba wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 18:45 the tomato! the tomato! the tomato!

and I'm in love with the tied up sprites. I'd love to use all of them, if you don't mind!
very good drawing!!
The Vorticons are unfinished, as those are the only frame they have to far (still think they could use a bit of tweaking)
when Dr.Colossus is finished with remaking "Keen 2: The Earth Explodes"
he'd only have to tell me what frames he want for them i will work on them again.

for the bound Keen and Lindsey, i'd think you should ask Szemigi first, as he is the original spriter for them
these are merely my tweaks of them

But for Anything Kylie, you pretty much have to ask if i'm okay on your idea of using her as a character.
The Difference Between a Mod and Fan art?, a Fan art is a Concept and a Mod is that Concept put into life.
Shikadi-Network
Grunt

Post by Shikadi-Network »

I never worked on a Levelpack/Mod, but I was a part of the ckfsc-Fangame which was never
finish. It`s not abandoned, but I think King Duke is the only one who still do something with
it. I am not got enough fo finish it on my own, also because we have our own engine. :D

So this is my black sheep, but maybe someday our fangame will be there. But I think about
a Mod. I hope I have time for it in the future.
The only frontier is our imagination - The Guy from Shikadi-Netzwerk