Source engine keen game

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
IceDuck347
Vortininja

Source engine keen game

Post by IceDuck347 »

Hello guys!

I have been thinking... what if someome creates a commander keen 3d game using the source engine from half-life 2?

It's because i saw that actually exists very much comander keen 3d games, but... anyone ever tried to make a half-life 2 mod for making the commander keen series?

Gameplay should not be affected. For example: imagine that you sart next to your ship, in mars, and you need to restore it, you start exploring through caves, mountains... and then you find a vorticon base, you sneak inside it and find your ship's parts, then you return and the game ends. So in next game you find the vorticon mothership...

You can get the candy for health, boxes of ammo, items, weapons, get help from yorps, etc...

Let me know what do you think about this.
Signed. IceDuck347 Have a nice day!
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Re: Source engine keen game

Post by Nospike »

Sounds like too much of a PITA. You'd need to change too many things, and don't forget that the Source engine is super dated, like 17 years old.
IceDuck347
Vortininja

Post by IceDuck347 »

yeah... you're right :confused

i said source just like an idea of what kind of graphics and phisics engine i'm talking about.

but well... everything is possible, just look at black mesa developers, they just created a new game. :disguised
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Nospike wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 19:56 like 17 years old.
That is getting a little dated, but aren't people still making doom total conversions?
IceDuck347 wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 20:08 but well... everything is possible, just look at black mesa developers, they just created a new game. :disguised
There's always Keen64, although that's using a game engine :disguised

I'm really looking forward to how it turns out.
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
IceDuck347
Vortininja

Post by IceDuck347 »

yes, that's true. but i repeat, i'm interested in physics engine.

PD: if you like the source engine idea, source SDK is free on steam, and also can use gmod for some proyects...
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Actually Unity3D has a pretty good physics engine and if you think about it, what Half Life 2 let you do with the physics engine was pretty much limited to: "ragdoll" effects of slain enemies, moving some crates around, gravity gun shooting / sucking and being able to drive vehicles across landscapes.

At the time (2004 we're talking here), that kind of stuff hadn't been done before (Jurassic Park: Trespasser being a crude pre-cursor), so you pretty much needed something like the Source Engine or an id tech engine just to do basic physics stuff (this was without that nifty "Havok Physics Engine", that all of the kids are using these days).

Now they make stuff in Unity so accessible that it would seem like overkill to do it in Source.

Here's some physics stuff I pulled off in Unity 5.

And vehicles? We gots dem vehicles.

Both of those videos were done using a "planetary-gravity" plugin I got from the asset store (but I never got the effect I wanted, hence the next video).

Here's another one I did, it's basic shows off a "wall-crawling" type of effect-- I pretty much made this on my own, with some help from a YouTube video (I mostly needed to learn the C# commands when dealing with Quaternions).

These videos are a little slow, so please bare with me-- I didn't want to jerk the camera around. Also, all models were made by me (except for those basic spheres).

So as MoffD said, there's Keen64, which you can easily modify into "Half-Keen 2"-- I can definitely release any development files to help you get started.
Last edited by Lava89 on Sun Jul 09, 2017 18:09, edited 1 time in total.
IceDuck347
Vortininja

Post by IceDuck347 »

You read my mind, i downloaded unity a weeks ago, and also i almost finish "commander keen travels" ready to start a new proyect. :) :)