Keen1 insane minimalism level competition/collection (final deadline May 10th)

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Nisaba
Janitress

Re: Keen1 insane minimalism level competition/collection

Post by Nisaba »

Roobar wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:19 Well, if Nisaba can make it, I can make it too! [...]
challenge accepted!
just contributed is my second 20min put together insane minimalism level.
out now (link) : Image
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Wowwee, maybe I can finally make my first (and last, hue hue) Keen level!
Last edited by Grimson on Wed Apr 19, 2017 20:06, edited 1 time in total.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Nisaba wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 13:09
Roobar wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:19 Well, if Nisaba can make it, I can make it too! [...]
challenge accepted!
just contributed is my second 20min put together insane minimalism level.
Whaat? We can submit more than 1 level? Then challenge accepted! I'll submit 2 more 20 min put together levels!
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

No, you can't! It says nowhere that you can!! Don't send a second level unless you want it to replace your first submission. You have to decide which level you want to have featured.

@Grimson: Definitely give it a try, son. :disguised
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

what? oh well...
so I guess I have to sell my first level, then. anyone? anyone? maybe?
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Yep. Sad but true, but the point is to showcase the versatility of Keeners as a whole (and believe me, this pack has it!), not so much the versatility of an individual (which, as we know, can be pretty much boundless too). This, also, so that people would focus on one level and make it the best they can. I don't know where you people got your confusion from. :scary

@Nisaba: Also, check your mail, you sent the same file twice instead of two levels.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

I could've sworn the rules in the first post said "limit one level per person." Maybe you accidentally edited it out, KeenRush?
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I don't think it did (although I admit I'm capable of doing such an editing blunder), but it all the time speaks of the level in singular, "make it the most enjoyable level you can" and "send your level", and I thought those would be clear enough. I guess it might be wise to make it state it more directly, which I shall do now...
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

BTW, I'm curious, with the current modding tools and knowledge, how many levels are possible to be included in a single Keen 1 episode/mod?
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

KeenRush wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:42 I don't know, it depends on what I've received at that point and if it seems some more levels might be on the horizon. I might give it a little more time but this will certainly end before June. :)
Ah, okay. Good to know. :)
Roobar wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:26 BTW, I'm curious, with the current modding tools and knowledge, how many levels are possible to be included in a single Keen 1 episode/mod?
There is a patch that allows a Keen 1 mod to have 32 levels, but I think it's possible to have much more levels than that (I don't know how much, though).
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Roobar wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:26 BTW, I'm curious, with the current modding tools and knowledge, how many levels are possible to be included in a single Keen 1 episode/mod?
I think the limitating factor is that the game uses a fixed-size array (16 words = 32 bytes) to indicate which levels are already completed on the world map. The patch mentioned above probably makes the game interpret the 16 words as 32 bytes, thus allowing you to use 32 levels. But within those 16 bytes you have 128 bits, so you could push the limits even forther with some advanced patching. The game itself can load levels numbered from 01 to 99 with no further patching required, so using up to 99 levels would be possible. It's really just a matter of how much you want to mess up the code.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

I would contribute another 90 levels but unfortunately I'm not allowed doing so...
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

If you're that keen on levelling I've got a few projects... :dopekeen
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

just kidding.
I guess the only thing I'm good at is finishing left behind stuff. as an initial point I need a skeleton in order to get creative. so if you have anything unfinished laying around I'd offer my help to push, polish and maybe even finalizing it.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

And I'm only good at abandoning stuff. A match made in heaven. :love :scary Seriously though, most of my projects need content from the ground up that doesn't have "the KeenRush vibe". So you'd need to do things from very rough skeletons. An interesting skill set / approach to modding at any rate. I wonder if I have any of that? I don't know if I've ever tried working that way. I'll send e-mail to the address you sent your level from.