Keen1 insane minimalism level competition/collection (final deadline May 10th)

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Re: Keen1 insane minimalism level competition/collection

Post by entropicdecay »

Really neat idea. It's a shame that by the time I've seen this thread the deadline's pretty close and the computer I'm currently mostly using isn't set up for Keen modding/level editing/etc.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Quick, get to a text editor and build one with ASCII characters. I'll convert it to a level if KR doesn't.
shikadi
Vorticon Elite

Post by shikadi »

Just saw this, made the first level that came up in me and sent it.
nothing usefull here
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Thanks for the level!

What do you people think, should we extend the timeline a bit and see if we can get some more levels? We now have 5 levels and could do with a few more. I can't see any harm in extending for a while, right?

Edit: Yeah, would be cool to get a level from you, too, elecdude!
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

@KeenRush I'd contribute one level but I'm to lazy to set things up myself... Could someone send me over a ready to tweak setup, plase?! (level editor, needed files, n' what ever is needed).
btw. are there more vertical than levels horizontal at the moment?
out now (link) : Image
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

I just finished my level, I'll be sending it over shortly. I call it Zhishi. Careful, though, opening it in a level editor before playing would ruin the experience.
Nisaba wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 16:05 I'd contribute one level but I'm to lazy to set things up myself... Could someone send me over a ready to tweak setup, plase?! (level editor, needed files, n' what ever is needed).
Certainly, here you go. This is the exact setup I used to make mine: Abiathar plus Tharify. Edit k1.adeps then run vortify.bat to compile the Galaxy levels back into Vorticons ones. The background plane can be completely ignored, foreground has your normal tiles (but renumbered so the tileset is 18 tiles wide), and the infoplane has sprites. I recommend placing a pogo stick tile under Keen's spawn point for testing. In DOSBox, just run keen1.exe and enter the first level on the world map to play your level.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Yes, good to hear! :)
Nisaba wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 16:05btw. are there more vertical than levels horizontal at the moment?
I think they're all more horizontal/wider than they're vertical/taller - most of the time levels are like that. But no levels so far that go to either direction in extremes.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

I'm going to submit a level, too.
Save a spot for me. :yorp

Edit: Be sure to temporarily put the pogo in the level next to Keen for testing longer jumps.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

I've sent a level. Did you receive it, KeenRush?

I'm all for pushing the deadline back. With the level design rules being so simplistic, building a level is easy and quicker than it usually is, so people who usually don't have time for that may be able to (basically, what Benvolio said on the first page). I think everyone should have a chance to participate.
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I have it, thanks. :)

We now have 7 levels and the deadline has been extended, in case people haven't noticed.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Fleexy wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 18:52 [...] Certainly, here you go. This is the exact setup I used to make mine: Abiathar plus Tharify. Edit k1.adeps then run vortify.bat to compile the Galaxy levels back into Vorticons ones. The background plane can be completely ignored, foreground has your normal tiles (but renumbered so the tileset is 18 tiles wide), and the infoplane has sprites. I recommend placing a pogo stick tile under Keen's spawn point for testing. In DOSBox, just run keen1.exe and enter the first level on the world map to play your level.
@Fleexy thanks a lot! with the help of your setup I've just finished my level.
out now (link) : Image
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Hey KeenRush, is the extension to April 26 going to be the last extension? I'm not trying to discourage you from extending the deadline again, I just really can't wait to see what good stuff people have and will submit to this competition. :)
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Well, if Nisaba can make it, I can make it too! Thanks Flexy!

Behold! I'm gonna make the hardest level of them all! It's payback time for all of your hard mods out there :mortlol .

And just submitted!
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Thanks for the 2nd extension. Currently recovering from a something or other. :sick
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Quillax wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 20:25 Hey KeenRush, is the extension to April 26 going to be the last extension? I'm not trying to discourage you from extending the deadline again, I just really can't wait to see what good stuff people have and will submit to this competition. :)
I don't know, it depends on what I've received at that point and if it seems some more levels might be on the horizon. I might give it a little more time but this will certainly end before June. :)