2017 - the year of mod collaborations

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

2017 - the year of mod collaborations

Post by KeenRush »

I just counted that I have seven 'active' mod projects. 8 if you count Operation Stardust. But 7 that I'm doing on my own. Maybe more. All of those projects have something concrete, so they're not just ideas. Some more than others, but something: graphics, extensive gameplay-changing patching, lists of ideas what to do, levels, etc. But it's too much work for me. Don't get me wrong, I love this stuff. :gimp I've done all my previous work solo. I have shown myself that I can do a mod on my own from start to finish. I've had this fixation that "I'll do just do one more huge mod alone to show (myself?) I can do it, then I'll start collaborating" - and it's tearing me down. I just don't have the energy - nothing to do with the subject matter but my overall mental health. I just can't get that much done. And it doesn't make any sense that I should since there are good alternatives. Somebody please say that to me, that I don't have to! :( It's so difficult to get rid of this mindset.

For a while (like, some years?) I've been thinking of collaborating. I might even have written about it here. Can't remember. But now it's time to act. I just can't, presently, do a full mod on my own - and most importantly, I don't feel that I even should. There's so much talent out there, and many people have will to do something but don't have the drive to do an entire mod on their own. Some of the best productions out there are collaborations. I feel I've been stoopid not to have done them more. I really have been wanting to do them.

I've been secretive of my projects. Often I've released stuff nobody even knew I was working on. I want to change that, too. To be more open - and by showcasing some stuff, get people to bug me about it, and thus get it done. 8)

Mostly I'm looking for graphics artists and level designers. People who could both spruce up my sprites and tiles, and make neat stuff themselves, befitting the mod theme. I love making levels but mostly I can't make the kind that people want to play. So I need people who can edit my levels to be better and who also make great levels themselves. I want to brainstorm; I want to make the best possible work. Your input will be listened to, obviously, so it's not that I dictate everything, even though I admit I will retain some form of leadering position since these are my projects/visions after all. I can't imagine how cool it will be if these plans get going. I hope the work will be rewarding. Even if I say so myself, some of these mods have very unique ideas and offer interesting opportunities for graphics and levelling.

Here are some of the damn projects I'm working on, which I want to get done. Here be spoilers! So read only if you're interested and/or want to help. These are the most urgent right now.

Commander Keen's Snow Day
Ride down hills using snowboard, skis, two types of sledges. This is sort of Calvin and Hobbes influenced mod, where Keen's imagination (or is it??) mixes with reality. This mod has been in my mind for almost a decade (and the idea has evolved during the time from the original vision) but it just hasn't happened yet. But now I'm at the point where I'm technically good enough to patch the thing. I've done most of the code already; the system works. The player is racing down vertical levels, avoiding obstacles and moving things. This one is pretty cool.

Commander Keen: Ancient Aliens
An adventure mod that happens in the space pyramids and tombs of ancient aliens. Some levels are 2D mazes that use different graphics perspective and sprite movement (already coded). Ordinary platform levels feature underwater areas; Keen can change into swimming Keen by jumping into water and back to normal as he rises to surface (not implemented yet but I know precisely how to do it).

Cash Bandicot
A bootleg remake of the first Crash Bandicoot in Keen 1. I love seeing newer games transformed into older systems and becoming quite different in the process. The levels most likely won't try to follow the Crash originals' design, but will share themes.

Good-bye Blue Pearl! (Codename H.Y.E.N.A)
This is one of the best of my plans, I think. Also a mod for which I have an extensive story. This is the origins story of Princess Lindsey, a girl named Lindsey who leaves (a slightly fictionalized) Africa of 1988 or so in her Scrap-And-Glue Spaceracer. Along with her comes an intelligent hyena, Tibok. The gameplay happens using two characters - instead of shooting, Lindsey transforms into Tibok or other way around. Back when I began the project, it was for Keen2 and the difference of being Tibok was only different graphics, but I shall move this to Keen1 and make being hyena considerably different in movement/skills. Here is the rough story. :)

On a small blue planet, in the late 1980s before Commander Keen has begun his adventures (or reign of terror) in space...

Lindsey, 8 years old, is diligently collecting scrap, trying to find enough to get money for a good meal and a sugary juice drink. It comes in sealed bottles and is cleaner than the well water. It comes from America.

It ain't an easy task. Sun is shining at the top of the sky, a fierce star. Yet in cosmic scale such a small star, Lindsey knows. But it sure is hot.

"That's a bingo!" she exclaims, finding the remains of something that might once have been a landmine. She lifts the thing in her carrywagon and starts heading towards the junk dealer.

It was worth a penny, and she goes to a food shop to get her items. Back outside in the sunshine, she opens the chilled drink. The high point of her day, the best moment in a couple of days. She lifts the bottle and -- it's gone out of her hands! "Give it back!" she yells. The men just laugh. She attacks the nearest one, but being only to his waist, her attack doesn't make any effect. They just laugh more. "Now we'll give it back." She gets the bottle, it's completely dry to the last drop. She attacks them verbally. "Shut your mouth girl. If you were a few years older we'd make you show some respect." They laughed viciously. She backs away, both angry and afraid. But there was nobody to help her.

"This planet is dung! Total rotten rhino dung to its core!" she screams. "That's it! I'm leaving it!" she yells, pulling her wagon with such temper that people jump out of her way. Some laugh. Shake their heads.
"Now now," a voice says. Papa Odek!
"Papa Odek! They took my juice!"
"You be careful with them or they take more than that... Lindsey, just stay away from them. They not good men. It's not worth it. I'd get them in order if I were a young man but I'm an old man."
"You're only hundred and one," Lindsey retorts. She's still fuming about the accident. Papa Odek rummages his shoulder bag.
"A juice drink!" Lindsey exlaims (aye, she has a habit of exlaiming).
"Now guard it, ain't got money for another."
"Thank you Papa Odek..."
"It's okay."

Lindsey wishes Papa Odek was her father. But she ain't have father or mother. Or, as Papa Odek has told her, of course she has, she just never really met them, they were too young and they ran away the night she was born.

Back at her Hideout, where she sleeps most nights, she's somewhat calmed. But her idea doesn't leave her. "I could leave this place," she says again and again. "But I gonna need a lot scrap..." she thinks, pulling her blanket over her. Through a corrugated hole in her roof, she can spot the distant universe, the distant stars. "So beautiful. So why stay here?"

Weeks go by and Lindsey keeps collecting scrap, dealing circuit boards, tweaking hardware that's already too old for other world and has somehow washed up here. She has scored eight computer processors and has connected them to form a super-computer. "Pretty good, clocking 19mhz every second." Her spacecraft is starting to take shape. Weldering a spacecraft is more difficult and time-consuming than she had expected. Programming is easy enough. "I just wish they made these 32 bit or 64 bit, but I guess that ain't ever happening, nobody will never need integers that big! But it sure would help writing this fractal-localized hyperdrive controller."

At last, two months later, the ship is ready. There's only one way to test it, launch it. It'll either burn her to death or breaks into space. "Only one way to know ain't there?"

"Papa Odek, I came to say good-bye. I'm leaving Earth."
"Ah-ha. How are you going to do that?"
"With a spacecraft I built."
"Ain't you a bit too young for interstellar travel?"
"I'm eight."
"Fair enough. We'll miss you."
"Don't cry, Papa Odek, don't be sad!"
"These are tears of happiness. I'm happy for you."
"Come with me. There's space for two."
"No... I'll return to soil. I'll stay by Mother Africa."
"If you change your mind, launch is prepared tomorrow morning."
"I won't. But hey, take this."
The ugliest hyena she has ever seen steps into the room.
"That ugly mutt?!"
"Tibok might be ugly but he's the smartest animal you'll ever see. He has powers. Might save your life out there, or at least guard it."
"Ok, I take it. But I'll maroon its hairy hide on Mars if it's no good."

Blast off! Success. Her Scrap-And-Glue Spaceracer is fully operational.
"Good-bye Blue Pearl!" she shouts. Tibok giggles and yelps.
It looks much better from outside of it.
Ok, leaving everything behind. Stay calm. It can be done. Don't panic.
Her parents did it. On a smaller scale.
On a much much much smaller scale.
She turned her head towards the stars, where she's heading. Better watch the road when rolling ninety thousand miles per second.
"Not bad for an unschooled African kid to be the first human astronaut to drive entirely self-made rocket, eh? Too bad the history won't know about us. Oh well. Now, where should we go? We have water and tunafish to last us a week. Now let's try the exponential light-speed drive. I hope I didn't make any segment errors, have had no way to try out this proggy... It either disintegrates us or moves us forward fast. Only one way to know ain't there?"
Tibok makes a non-commital laugh.
"Hold on to your spots, Tibok..."

If you're interested, just tell me which project. You can also send PM, e-mail, whatever. Let's get started. :)
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
ScarletFlame
Vortininja

Re: 2017 - the year of mod collaborations

Post by ScarletFlame »

Wow! Can I just say how much I like your version of Lindsey? It's interesting to see that she originated from Earth, and she puts her knowledge to use, unlike in keen 4 where she just tells you stuff. Reminds me of an old 90's anime called Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water. The story could use some polishing, like how her grand dad was just like 'k bye', but I think it's overall good.

Interesting choice for having a Hyena though. Reminded me of the Aardwolf, the unofficial id mascot Tom came up with.
RESTING SPACE
EXPLORER FACE
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Wow, that's a lot of projects. It must be a weird feeling to share so many ideas instead of the usual secrecy we tend to have.

Of these, the Keen's Snow Day and especially the Ancient Aliens are my personal favorites. I replayed the original Yoshi's Island on gba fairly recently, and it had a few cool skiing themes levels that could be inspiration (including an especially brutal extra level). I'd be interesting in seeing how you've implemented those mechanics.

The Ancient Aliens idea is especially neat since I love those seeing and especially designing those types of space pyramid/tomb levels. Is it going to be darker in tone or a little more comical (the TV show with the same name is absurd, after all)?

Having never played any Crash games, I can't comment on that one. However, the Lindsey one is also unique. I had never imagined Lindsey coming from Earth, but that could be an interesting angle (how did she end up on Gnosticus IV?).

I would really love to be able to help on the first two, but I just can't right now. In a week I'll be traveling halfway across the U.S. to start a college semester/internship in LA, and I don't expect it'll leave any time for personal projects (still have to finish my own Keen 5 mod as well). If you still want help, I could reevaluate around May/June, but it's still a maybe. Good luck with these! :)

Also, since you brought it up, what about Operation Stardust? I know that it's largely reliant on other people, but it seems like it needs some revival discussion if it's ever going to get finished. It's been almost two years since I submitted my level, and I'm looking forward to seeing what other people come up with.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

ScarletFlame wrote:The story could use some polishing, like how her grand dad was just like 'k bye', but I think it's overall good.
:lol Papa Odek is not a relative, he's just a village elder who sort of keeps an eye on her and other orphans. Of course, this isn't that evident from the story, yeah. Also, nice to hear you like it. (Haven't seen that anime nor heard of that mascot.)

Not sure whether Ancient Aliens (haven't seen a TV show, not even heard about it) will be darker or lighter, I haven't made up my mind yet. I've mostly focused (so far) on tech with that one.

As for how Lindsey ends up on Gnosticus IV, the whole story isn't thought out yet, but what is known is that that planet won't be her first stop...

Anyway, thanks, if you get spare time and energy at some point just send me e-mail, these aren't going to be done in a while.

Operation Stardust indeed needs that kind of reviving. But right now I'll just keep waiting for entries, I won't focus on it right now.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

ScarletFlame wrote:Reminds me of an old 90's anime called Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water.
Hey, I remember that show. I watched most of the episodes right up till the Talking Whale. Great stuff.

Also great stuff is Commander Keen's Snow Day. SkiFree came to mind when reading about it.
I wonder about collaborations and showcasing mods as they're being made. Does this speed up progress or does it stifle it? I suppose it depends on the creator(s). I wish I could help out, but I wouldn't be able to contribute until 2020 at the soonest. :dopekeen

Cash Bandicot and H.Y.E.N.A is for Keen1, right?
Are Snow Day and Ancient Aliens for Keen1 as well?
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

SkiFree is sort of a predecessor (although I can't say I played it much), as is Ski Or Die. I loved that mountain level as a kid (ok, I still do).

Yes, everything's for Keen1. :dopekeen
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

This is pretty much me too, without the optimism of getting things done. But at least a few mods should appear this year.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.