Editing the loading screen and the title graphics

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Bubzrulz
Vortininja

Editing the loading screen and the title graphics

Post by Bubzrulz »

Hi ive just started using Abiathar to make my own level pack moded from keen4 (my favorite as a kid) but now im getting used to editing levels id like to know how to edit

Editing the loading screen and the title graphics and the rolling intro too ps i have windows 10
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Ceilick wrote a beginners tutorial on how to do some fine Commander Keen Galaxy modding. it is very detailed and should help you out with a lot of questions (which might come along the way).
it's very helpful, and I strongly recommend reading it, especially when you are new to all this.
there are also sections dealing with the Loading Window as well as the Scrolling Text.

just follow this link:
shikadi.net/keenwiki/Ceilick's_Keen_Galaxy_Modding_Tutorial

having further questions? don't hesitate to ask
Last edited by Nisaba on Thu Dec 22, 2016 20:46, edited 1 time in total.
out now (link) : Image
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

I'm guessing that since you're using Windows 10, you aren't going to be able to run Keenscr/TheDraw (for loading/exit screen editing) and Startext (for the scrolling story text). I've been doing this recently for my own mod, and you get an incompatibility error on Windows 7.

If this happens, you may want to investigate setting up a Windows XP virtual machine (Windows XP mode). It's a bit of a nuisance, but it will allow you to run more modding programs that aren't compatible with newer operating systems.

Just ask if you need help with setting that up. It took me a while to figure out an error message I was getting in XP mode that would say "UNC Paths are not supported" whenever I tried running a batch file.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Interesting, any idea on what specific error that is? I have a Windows 10 box I can test stuff on.
Edit: If the only problem is that they're DOS executables, there's always dosbox.
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

@Gridlock & MoffD:

In fact, the only problem is, that they are DOS executables!
c'mon guys you knew that, didn't you?!

so many of those modding programs were actually written for a DOS environment (just remember modkeen). Of course you need to use an emulator like DOSBox to fire up such tools.
(and DOSBox is compatible with XP, Vista, Win7, Win8, Win10, Linux, Mac OS, Solaris ... )

by the way: I recently updated the shikadi.net/keenwiki/Galaxy_Tools list and added some compatibility information to it. this way you should know, which tools do run under which circumstances.

EDIT: quickly tested TheDraw, KeenScr & Startext via DOSBox under my Win7 & Win10 VM's. no problems what so ever!
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Yes, that is true I suppose. Most of these can be run in DosBOX. I still use XP mode for WDC though (sound effects editing) and most of these programs. Note that if you want to run modkeen in DosBox, you will probably need CWSDPMI.EXE (download in the tutorial).
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

( OFF TOPIC: @Gridlock: WDC seems to run under my Win7 & Win10 VMs as well... can you send me over a project file for a quick editing test, please?! )
Bubzrulz
Vortininja

Post by Bubzrulz »

Got Startext, and it worked for me to patch my 1st new level so that when you enter level it says it and not original one i used it and it spat out the PATCH.TXT now what do i do
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

well, at this stage there is no simple answer for this yet.

as mentioned before, I do recommend reading the tutorial talked about above. It is very helpful to get a general understanding of how things work. There is also a section dealing with PATCH files. (therefore take a look over here: Patch File and Batch File)
this should give you a better understanding of what a PATCH file is, and why you need it.

after reading this, you should be able to copy the Startext output and simply paste everything right into your just fresh created PATCH file.

in the same section of this very tutorial there is also a tool mentioned, named The Neural Stunner. using this is a much easier way for modding stuff like level names or level entry texts.

just let me know whether you had luck with all this.

(@troublesomekeen: your videos are needed!!!)
Bubzrulz
Vortininja

Post by Bubzrulz »

got some patches working

Code: Select all

%patch $7AB7 $90 $90 = no need used A2ENTER 

%patch $5CC7  $7A6AW $0001W = one live

%patch $5CCD $7A58W $0003W =3 ammo

%patch $DA4F $90 $90 =no score box
and these for the texts that go as you start the game and entering the 2 levels :

Code: Select all

%patch $1F1F0 "Keen fell into " 
%patch $1F200 " Slugland  "
%patch $1f210 "  Keen Shoots The   " 
%patch $1f225 "Slugs Slugs Slugs "

Im getting there next to find these things :

looking for info on patching the score to the right side and changing the red to different colours one for each thing and also would like to reset if you die
Last edited by Bubzrulz on Fri Dec 23, 2016 14:00, edited 2 times in total.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

for further patching info, please head over to: keenmodding.org
over there your questions should be in good hands.

never the less I can try to answer a few of them beforehand:

concerning the score box text colours, you just need to alter some graphics. to do so, you need to extract all those graphics from the executable. (how to extract them? check this section of the tutorial: shikadi.net/keenwiki/Ceilick's_Keen_Galaxy_Modding_Tutorial#Setting_Up_Files_and_Folders)

afterwards open up the "bmp" folder and search for a file named "4TIL0002.BMP". fire up a graphic editor of your choice (Paint, Gimp, Photoshop...) and simply change the colours of this graphic to your liking.

afterwards re-import those modified graphics by simply following the steps mentioned in the tutorial.

by the way, if you are using Paint, please make sure to grab a copy which functions with the Keen palette correctly. again, the tutorial provides a link for that: shikadi.net/keenwiki/Ceilick's_Keen_Galaxy_Modding_Tutorial#Tool_Downloads
Bubzrulz
Vortininja

Post by Bubzrulz »

Nisaba wrote:for further patching info, please head over to: keenmodding.org
over there your questions should be in good hands.

never the less I can try to answer a few of them beforehand:

concerning the score box text colours, you just need to alter some graphics. to do so, you need to extract all those graphics from the executable. (how to extract them? check this section of the tutorial: shikadi.net/keenwiki/Ceilick's_Keen_Galaxy_Modding_Tutorial#Setting_Up_Files_and_Folders)

afterwards open up the "bmp" folder and search for a file named "4TIL0002.BMP". fire up a graphic editor of your choice (Paint, Gimp, Photoshop...) and simply change the colours of this graphic to your liking.

afterwards re-import those modified graphics by simply following the steps mentioned in the tutorial.

by the way, if you are using Paint, please make sure to grab a copy which functions with the Keen palette correctly. again, the tutorial provides a link for that: shikadi.net/keenwiki/Ceilick's_Keen_Galaxy_Modding_Tutorial#Tool_Downloads
posted up on keenmodding a little while ago cheers