Keen 3 Levels Patch

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.

How many levels should be mandatory in Keen 3?

Poll ended at Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:53

No votes
50%
50%

Total votes: 4

Bitemaster
Grunt

Keen 3 Levels Patch

Post by Bitemaster »

Hi y'all,

Keen 3 level design was rushed, as I'm sure most of you know. With only 3 levels required, it got me thinking... what if more levels were marked? It certainly seems like you can walk through a lot of levels on the world map that are right in front of teleporters.

Also the "Hal's Kitchen" level needs some work, as a lot of areas are inaccessible and the "Caves of Oblivion" is also unwinnable in the "real" way. There is some evidence that the latter may be intentional though.

Someone may have done this already, but for practice I'd like to make my own level patch for Keen 3.

This project will include 2 polls, polling the PCKF for how many levels should be required and which ones they should be, respectively.

Technically, though, Keen 3 has 3 levels required going one path, 4 going another path. Only 3 are absolutely mandatory though.

I kind of like the idea of taking two different paths to get to the Grand Intellect's Castle. I think they likely would have continued those two paths had they not run out of time.

However, the idea is to vote on levels that are never required (these come to 11, 10 without the secret level, which won't be made mandatory) and arrange it so that no matter which path you take, you have to complete at least X [the poll number] of levels to finish the game.

What do y'all think? :)
Keening since 1995.
King_Gargs_Revenge
Grunt

Post by King_Gargs_Revenge »

That's great if you want to try that, and good luck to you, but FWIW I'd just like to say I kinda liked the way so few levels were required in Keen 3. It's a refreshing change of pace from the other games, all of which required much more levels, didn't they? I know these games are far from being "open world" in any sense of the term but in a way I feel like Keen 3 is... well, more of an open world game, by comparison. For better or worse (I'd say better).
Bitemaster
Grunt

Post by Bitemaster »

Cool, you can still play the official version :) There are quite a few of us who would have liked more required levels and that's who this mod patch is for. You can play the patch or not. It's up to you. :)

P. S. Keen 1 has 6 required levels and Keen 2 has 10 I believe. Not sure about Keen Dreams and 4-6.
Keening since 1995.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Keen 6 needs 10 levels to complete. Keen 5 can be done with just 4 is you use the glitch but requires pretty much all of them otherwise. Keen 4 you can get through in 11 levels. Keen Dreams requires 8 levels.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Keen Dreams can actually be beaten with as few as 5 levels completed. Horseradish Hill, Castle Tuberia and Boobus' Chamber are mandatory, and you can find the necessary 12 bombs in just Apple Acres and Spud City assuming you pick up the secret ones as well.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Aaah yes, I was thinking quick complete rather than least levels.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.