Any Keen 1-3 mods happening?

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Keening_Product wrote:*Surf's
(Though maybe apostrophes are not available, iunno.)
(I think apostrophes are a go. Thank you!)
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

MoffD:

Level editor released here, including source:

http://keenmodding.org/viewtopic.php?p=20076
KeenRush wrote:Interesting looking level editor there. Is Qt difficult to use? I'd need some GUI solution for a project or two.
Qt is quite an enjoyable toolkit to use, especially with the built-in Designer which is reminiscent of building forms in Visual Basic, but a lot more flexible.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Thanks Spleen! :D
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

Commander Spleen wrote:Vorticons is the best engine for Keen modding.

For me, Vorticons is much more appealing for modding because of its rawness and minimalism. It takes me way too long for me to get anything done on a Vorticons mod as it is, let alone dealing with all the extra features and details in Galaxy. I definitely appreciate the work other people produce with those engines, though.

I enjoy both the PC speaker and AdLib effects. They each provide a different type of atmosphere. Also note that AdLib music is now possible in Vorticons. There is also a one-button firing patch which I use in all my mods.

Vorticons ported to the Galaxy engine would certainly be interesting, but would be a whole different experience and the original games would in no way be rendered obsolete.
I don't make full-package mods myself. as i'm not that good at programming. i can do some.
but the "patching" way is pretty much beyond me, as i for the most part have no idea what I'm doing <.<

And Textures and spriting is something i like and enjoy tinkering with.
But i'm also using a Photo-shop since i having prefer having Layers multiple windows ~.^

i guess i should seek out that "one-button firing patch"

No game should be obsolete on the PC Platform.
although, i can't say the same for games with online-only-DRM (or MMOs)

KeenRush wrote:Heh, pretty much all those points by Zilem are the reason I find Galaxy the lesser.
Oh, so you rather have "Galaxy" ported to "Vortiton Invasion" ^.~
(Joke)
KeenRush wrote:Anyway, I don't see how vorticon mods could be ported to galaxy engine without excessive rewriting of most of the galaxy engine. Unless it's not important that the port acts like the original. I'd rather keep them in the old engine they were made for.
The levels and world map will have to remade of course and so does the tiles for Galaxy engine in isometric
and changing the Sprite-cinematics into text and pictures ;p

Although, i don't know about is the Yorp & Enemy behavior and the Pogo-sick disabling till you pick it up, a Fail state for episode 2
The Robot you can stand on, Ice scating, Ice Caoonon & ice entombment, The knockdown from Vorticon cubs, the furball running away from you

some of the required patch code might already be available
i just think. it could be an interesting community mod ;p
The Difference Between a Mod and Fan art?, a Fan art is a Concept and a Mod is that Concept put into life.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

KeenRush wrote:Anyway, I don't see how vorticon mods could be ported to galaxy engine without excessive rewriting of most of the galaxy engine. Unless it's not important that the port acts like the original. I'd rather keep them in the old engine they were made for.
Zilem wrote:The levels and world map will have to remade of course and so does the tiles for Galaxy engine in isometric and changing the Sprite-cinematics into text and pictures ;p
Although, i don't know about is the Yorp & Enemy behavior and the Pogo-stick disabling till you pick it up [...] some of the required patch code might already be available. i just think it could be an interesting community mod ;p
by reference to that, I'm pretty much thrilled what DrColossus has to say about all that. without intending so spoil anything, I think I can advertise that something formidable yet splendid is in the offing...
So at least I'm in a flurry of excitement.
out now (link) : Image
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Well, I still do Keen 1-3 mods, since I like the simplicity of them and how small they are. I am currently working on a Keen 3 mod.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!