Commander Keen Dreams

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Commander Keen Dreams

Post by Commander Spleen »

Pretty sure there was a thread for this somewhere, but can't find it at the moment.

I had a pretty profound, hyper-realistic Keen dream this morning. There have actually been several in the past year or two, some semi-lucid and all pretty amazing.

There was a massive factoryish level with a lot of weird hazards and those intermittent spinning platforms from the Keen 6 boss level. It was possible to perfectly time a power jump, launching across about 3 or 4 screens of these without dying. I did this several times, seeming to physically feel the g-force and wind resistance of the leap, before catching a platform on the downward twist and landing on a deadly tile.

An amalgam of several modders in one was responsible for this devilry. I don't remember which they were, but it wasn't the ones you'd expect or I would have remembered it. There's kind of a sense of their internet presence blended into one, how I'd imagine a dog would identify humans by their scent, but I can't quite place them. The metal factory tune was playing for some time, including a scene earlier in the dream that escaped my memory.

The highlight was a particular hallway (factory/guard post platforms) in which a rock from Kene 4 was sitting and came to life and started leaping toward me. I dodged it several times and finally managed to get a shot in only to discover it was a patched flect, causing the blast to bounce back and stun me. This was a genuine surprise and made me laugh raucously, possibly out loud IRL. More of them started appearing. One was a modded treasure eater, which I also stunned while becoming acutely aware of several point items nearby that were yet to be collected.

Soon I was in space and fighting purple and/or green octopus and/or squid shaped aliens and/or spaceships, possibly an extension of the rock swarm battle. Outnumbered, we fired a particular weapon that propelled us backwards a long way and started firing thin white lasers at them, which I controlled with a joystick. It took perfect control to curve the turret around on some of the approaching enemies. We fired a flamethrower briefly but switched back to lasers after finding it ineffective. I managed to take out dozens (quite a rush, actually) before they outmaneuvered my turret.

There was more that I remembered upon awakening, and I wish it had been written down then. At least some of it shall be preserved here.
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

This is very interesting. I love interesting dreams. I almost always make sure to record mine; sometimes I've even turned them into short stories and posted them online.

I usually don't record nightmares though. So I guess I don't record very many of my dreams.

When I was a kid, I had some dream about Keen being in a forest level from Keen 4. The floor was flat at the bottom, maybe with some small hills, and it was ridiculously tall. Like, taller than the actual background graphics - or the screen size itself - should afford in reality. Think like those Keen 2000 (?) levels, that kind of scale. There weren't any enemies except for this pig thing, I think it was from Power Rangers or TMNT... not sure; my brother watched those shows but I did not. The pig thing was in this flying mechanical pod thing, like the top half of the creature was attached to this thing. I guess it was a boss or something, I don't know. It kept flying forward, shooting at Keen while he pursued it.

I don't remember any other "normal" dreams about Keen.

Every so often I have some kind of nightmare about Keen being lost in some horrific bio-organic labyrinth, like in Keen 6. This usually tends to occur when I'm thinking about the original games a lot, or possibly when I'm slipping into some kind of episode.