Keen Day 2015!

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

Dr.Colossus wrote:Happy Keen day! :birthday

KeenMoMGalaxy

I'm currently working on a remastered version of Keen1. This is only a demo version.
Wow. This is really well done. You've done a fantastic job of adapting the level design to the Keen Galaxy style rather than just remaking the levels tile-by-tile. When I first saw a pole appear, I was a little wary, thinking that this might be too much of a change. But as I played, I understood that their inclusion doesn't take anything away from the experience; instead, they make it feel like a proper adaptation. Same goes for the doors/rooms, switches, bridges and goplats.

The graphics really evoke the feel of the original game. The new, twisty plants for some of the floating platforms mesh wonderfully with the established environment. Leaving the sky grey and just adding clouds to it works remarkably well. The Vorticon sprites are... honestly, the best fan-made Vorticon sprites I've ever seen. Just the right amount of details to make them look polished without totally eschewing the original design.

If I can offer any criticism at all, it's this:

1) A Vorticon got stuck at this position while jumping. He just kept flipping back and forth like he was stuck in the air or something.

2) The map tiles for the shrines seem a little too big compared to the cities, in my opinion.
Dr.Colossus
Vortininja

Post by Dr.Colossus »

Thanks for the positive responses and the constructive critiques.
wiivn wrote: I very much like the graphics of KeenMoMGalaxy, I made some variations of the background just to see how could look.
Hey! They are pretty cool, especially the blue and yellow one. If I don't get any background-tile problems I will implement this.
Plasma Captain wrote: When I first saw a pole appear, I was a little wary, thinking that this might be too much of a change. But as I played, I understood that their inclusion doesn't take anything away from the experience; instead, they make it feel like a proper adaptation. Same goes for the doors/rooms, switches, bridges and goplats.
I've tried to implement the typical elements of the galaxy games while maintaining the spirit of the Keen1 game.
Plasma Captain wrote:1) A Vorticon got stuck at this position while jumping. He just kept flipping back and forth like he was stuck in the air or something.
Yes, I know this problem. I have to check the boundary boxes and fix it.
Plasma Captain wrote:2) The map tiles for the shrines seem a little too big compared to the cities, in my opinion.
That's true. In the final version I will make them a bit smaller.
Plasma Captain wrote:The Vorticon sprites are... honestly, the best fan-made Vorticon sprites I've ever seen. Just the right amount of details to make them look polished without totally eschewing the original design.
To my shame, I must confess that I've altered the sprites of the game Swat Kats. I couldn't make the animations by myself as I wanted them. Therefore I took the sprites of this game.
Here is a comparsion:
T-Squared
Vortininja

Post by T-Squared »

To my shame, I must confess that I've altered the sprites of the game Swat Kats. I couldn't make the animations by myself as I wanted them. Therefore I took the sprites of this game.
Here is a comparsion:
So? Apogee took graphics from Turrican for Duke Nukem II, and the infamous barrels from Megaman!

(As for me, I'm going to cheat a little bit with some of the music for my mod by taking some already-made accompaniment patterns from my Yamaha keyboard and adding some melody ideas.)
Cosmo II: HUMANIZED!!! Progress:
Graphics: 15% Complete
Story: 100% Complete
Music: 5% Complete
Programming Modifications: 5% Complete (FINALLY! SOME PROGRESS!)

http://www.tsqproductions.com
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

Hahah. Hey, I still think they're great. I regularly peruse stuff like The Spriter's Resource (and upload stuff for other people to study); nothing wrong with using a reference if the end result stands on its own.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Tsk! You should be ashamed of yourself!

*Quietly marks sprite resource folder as 'hidden'*
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Dr.Colossus wrote:Happy Keen day! :birthday

KeenMoMGalaxy

I'm currently working on a remastered version of Keen1. This is only a demo version.
This is really an excellent piece of work.
I'm just wondering whether there should be some music added?
Knowing that the original version is lacking for that, I'm truly curious which decision you're up to.

Besides that, the graphics are overwhelmingly nice. And I love that greyish background design (although wiivn's Earth-blue idea isn't bad at all).

Concerning the Vorticons everything has been said already.

But damn, I'm in love with that demo.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

I bet the good doctor will definitely add music. It's a no-brainer. You know what I always say! If it's possible, it's tossible! (meaning if the engine can handle music, which it can, toss it right in!)
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!