Fleex plays Keen: Foray in the Forest

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
chrissifniotis
Vorticon Elite

Post by chrissifniotis »

:lol Oh man that was epic!
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Get ready for tomorrow's finale on XkyKeen3! Since school is a thing again, my episodes will become considerably rarer.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

You start school soon? Man, I start in September.
Yeah, piece of cake!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Education: The true enemy of Minecraft.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Actually, my school resumed on Wednesday. I probably won't do another session until next week, or possible later. But, this is the first mod I actually managed to finish! See the exciting, reference-intensive, song-peppered finale today!
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

I'm half a year late to the thread, but I wanted to thank you, Fleexy, for doing a "Let's Play" of XkyKeen3. :) You make me feel genuinely guilty for Level 7--I'm sorry about that!

I was a little surprised to see you didn't read the story before diving in--would've given you context for what you were doing, AND it would have given you the names of all the monsters! Optiquats, Trinin, Spadlings, etc.!

Overall, it was cool to see how a new player approached many of the levels--thanks for pointing out where I bungled the level design in some places, too! ;) Hehehe
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Nobody reads the stories.

Nobody.

The (hopefully) next mod you see will have no story because nobody will read it anyway.
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

I read the stories every time. >:( I start any new mod I download, and I check the story, the help menu, and the ordering info, just to see how the modder used the space available.

Granted, most of the time I checked was before modding got so robust, and so I was mostly curious how the modder would use the space within the limits of its original intent, but my point stands.

I read the stories. :(
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I read the stories AND the credits.

I mean, slight variations of enemy behaviors, jump challenges, and key card / bridge puzzles are wonderful and everything, but it's the player's imagination that adds actual depth to those elements and makes them fun.

As a young boy, I was enthralled with the Monster Bash story line, and it made the awesome graphics, music and levels all the more immersive.

You can't expect someone to enjoy your game without captivating them first. You know, spin the yarn, or weave the dream so to speak.

These games are small, and there are a lot of limitations. To not push them to said limits is a crime.

Actually, I'm considerably annoyed when someone doesn't take the time to modify the game text at all, and it's just the same old "Billy Blaze, Eight year-old genius, working diligently in his backyard..." crap, over and over again.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I agree with you there, but everything I've released I've been bombarded with 'What is this?' when I've put the answers right in the story. Nobody seems to pay attention to them. It's nice to know in fact that someone does.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Hello! I decided that, since Abiathar is such an amazing and complex editor, it deserves a video series to help explain all the things! In this new series, I'll talk about how to use Abiathar's full power, as well as provide visual demonstrations.

Episode 1: The Concepts
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Fantastic, Fleexy! Excellent video, very thorough. This is a great help to Abiathar beginners (such as myself, of course) and modding beginners altogether! Thank you so so so much for doing this. Abiathar is power!! Oh how I love Ctrl+Z! Great cows! And you also implemented Keen:Next Mode! Bravo!
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
chrissifniotis
Vorticon Elite

Post by chrissifniotis »

Wow! I may just start making levels with this thing. It seems simple enough.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Well, since people seem to be liking the video tutorials, I will continue them!

Episode 2 deals with level import/export, NetKeen editing, the config file, the column/row adjusters, level management, and tile property editing! Ignore that bit I said about the tile property modifier automatically setting the Front field; it's kind of annoying and will not actually be in the v1.3 release.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Informative and worth watching. I kind of want to record myself using Abiathar, for anyone's benefit in seeing how it's done, but you certainly deserve to see your program in use by others. We'll see :)