The Hand-Drawn Level Contest

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Bubbatom: That is a lovely level.
wiivn: That video is tits. And the trees in your level remind me of the ones in Xargon.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

It took me around 5 hours yesterday to make half of that level. So I think another 5 and it will be complete and probably a few more to make some corrections and tweaks, as I have to adjust the drawing to the tiles and not the other way around.

Keening_Product when I made that level, I didn't knew about Xargon. That's interesting find.
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

It's pretty amazing what you've got going here wiivn!
I congratulate you on being able to "port" this drawing into your keen engine! I don't think I quite spent 5 hours drawing it!
But you've done an amazing job on it and it'd be great to be able to play it at some point or another.
Good on you, Tom. :dopefish

(and in case your wondering the level is some sort of airport that I may use in an upcoming mod project)
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Hahaha, oman. That hand-drawn level video is amazing. I would love to see a fan game in that style.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

In Commander Keen: Battle of the Biros, Keen must protect the delicate world of Graphitius from the evil industrial overlord Mr Bic.

The industrial megaman, whose ink spills have been pissing off Captain Planet for years, wants to erase the place and its people from the map.

In their place, Mr Bic plans a massive ink blot sea for wealthy businessmen to refill their overpriced fountain pens from.

Armed not with his trusty phaser, but a slingshot and crumpled blotting paper, Keen must stop Mr Bic and his ballpoint cronies before they roll into town.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

nice storyline Keening-Product, some of you guys should team together on that one!! you could even make a mod version of the video to 'Take on Me' by A-ha...
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

A-ha aha! That's clever idea. And in addition, if Bubbatom wants, could be cool if he draws 2 additional frames for the water waves and 3 frames for the flags. Also, I'm thinking of adding some pick-up items. Or leave it as is?
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Yep, I'll draw up some additional frames later tonight. You can add points in if you like!
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

has anybody kept some copies of those Hand-Drawn-Level-Pre-Designs?

I adore Gridlocks Lava sketches. They remind me of my childhood, when drawing countless meters of remembered and imagined Commander Keen worlds onto blank wallpaper rolls. mysterious but beautiful!
Last edited by Nisaba on Mon Oct 22, 2018 23:23, edited 1 time in total.
out now (link) : Image
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

So oldschool...
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.