Fan-art thread

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
ScarletFlame
Vortininja

Post by ScarletFlame »

Keening_Product wrote:I never thought Keen was supposed to be cool in the usual macho sense.
he's cool in an ironic way
RESTING SPACE
EXPLORER FACE
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Isn't everything cool in an ironic way nowadays?
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

You hear in your head:
YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUNDING
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRG!!!!!
ScarletFlame
Vortininja

Post by ScarletFlame »

Benvolio wrote:Isn't everything cool in an ironic way nowadays?
no
RESTING SPACE
EXPLORER FACE
chrissifniotis
Vorticon Elite

Post by chrissifniotis »

Keening_Product wrote:I never thought Keen was supposed to be cool in the usual macho sense.
Nah, I like to think Keen's cool in an awesome but nerdy way. In a way I think Keen could be appreciated today by kids - an 8 year old super genius, flying in a home built rocket saving the universe - because of a new interest in gaming and intelligence in general.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

^This

Keen is cool, but not adult cool, or even teen cool. He doesn't wear sunglasses or make ironic quips of blast bad guys with a big gun and get the girl. Keen is a kids' cool, speaking to an age where an empty cardboard box is a fortress, a backyard an alien planet, a stick a gun (That will then get someone expelled from school.)
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Mort
Vortininja

Post by Mort »

Cool Keen wallpaper from John Romero via Twitter...

http://pic.twitter.com/Xm3ucBf6xp

chrissifniotis
Vorticon Elite

Post by chrissifniotis »

Sooner or later I'm going to have to keep going with my Smash Keen pics. I've been meaning to showcase an easter egg feature.
King_Gargs_Revenge
Grunt

Post by King_Gargs_Revenge »

"I" have a theory... There's something about Keen games, Martians, and eyes. One of the Martians' most defining features tends to be their eyes. Yorps have one eye; Gargs have two eyes and their body is shaped like an eye. Has anyone else ever felt like Gargs were originally intended, at some point, to have three eyes -- with one big eye where their mouths are? Maybe the idea was dropped for some reason or another. Maybe King Garg was the only Martian/Garg with three eyes; maybe that's why he was the king. This would be consistent with what we know about the hierarchy of Martian society. I read on KeenWiki the weakest, dumbest Martians are Yorps, followed by Gargs, followed by King Garg. There's no pictures of the Garg king, but we can see a clear progression in terms of numbers of eyes from Yorps to Gargs which seems to reflect their rank, so it stands to reason that the Garg king may well have had a third eye. The Martians seem to be able to communicate -- both with Keen and presumably eachother -- telepathically so it's not like they need mouths to talk. And there's no food on Mars, so Martians must not require food to live or their species could never have evolved up to this point in the first place. In short, Martian mouths are superfluous.

Here is my extremely crude artist's conceptions of what a three-eyed Garg would look like (also included is an Invasion-style rendition of Darth Gar -- er, Sparky).
I'm not sure what it is but something about the eye just looks off to me...
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

No I have never felt the gargs need a third eye. But that's a spot on idea! Someone will surely keep an eye on this one. :crazy
King_Gargs_Revenge
Grunt

Now I know Dopefish are native to Gnosticus IV, however they have been known to be found elsewhere on occasion, right? According to the wiki, the "'far side' of Vorticon VI contains nothing but ocean."
The planet itself is unusual: it has a big North polar cap, but the South one is considerably smaller, suggesting a higher axial tilt than Earth's. The planet has five major land masses, and the Keen 3 story hints that the "far side" of Vorticon contains nothing but ocean. Its atmosphere and gravity seem to be similar to those of Earth. The soil of the planet has a distinct purplish coloration.
Who knows what kind of horrifying, dopey creatures lurk beneath the surface of Vorticon VI's vast open-waters? Afterall, we know Messie exists even though many Vorticons still consider her a myth.

And on a tangentially-related note, with blue water and purple land, the two main colors of the planet match the colors of the outfits worn by Vorticon Elites. Could this be mere coincidence, or is it possible the Grand Intellect had a surprisingly "keen" sense of fashion and designed their suits this way because he felt that would make some kind of fashion statement?

I'm not sure what Keen means by this but apparently it's just a joke he uses in his stand-up routine, which I've heard isn't doing so well lately because of how offensive it is to aliens.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Hey hey! Good stuff!

I wonder most about this eye:

Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Welp,

Oracles are actually lizards!

Bloog with wormouth hands!
ScarletFlame
Vortininja

Post by ScarletFlame »

troublesomekeen wrote: I wonder most about this eye:

What are you questioning about it? It's a magic eyeball!
King_Gargs_Revenge wrote:Could this be mere coincidence, or is it possible the Grand Intellect had a surprisingly "keen" sense of fashion
omg
RESTING SPACE
EXPLORER FACE
King_Gargs_Revenge
Grunt

Here's a couple more I just made.

I think I'll quit my job and just do whatever this Vorticon does for a living from now on.

PC-culture on Vorticon VI. Fun fact: all the Vorticon Grunts in Keen 2 are actually wearing prison jumpsuits (that's why their clothes are yellow).