Problem with a custom NK level

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Problem with a custom NK level

Post by Quillax »

I made a Vorticons NetKeen level in this day with Abiathar, and when I start the level, it'll freeze a moment later and all of my options are reset to default. I only tested the level with one player (who is me), but I'm sure the same problem will occur when played with two or more players. The Level Inspector tool doesn't seem to detect any issues and the other levels seem to work pretty fine. :confused Here's a map of my level:

Does anyone here know what might be causing the problem? Also, I'd love to hear comments and constructive criticism on my level.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Re: Problem with a custom NK level

Post by Fleexy »

Weirdly, I can't seem to reproduce the problem when I add a new level to the CKV set. I checked episode.ckv and there do seem to be valid songs set for levels beyond the end of the default ones, at least in the version I downloaded from KeenWiki. Still, could you try renumbering the level to replace an existing one? If that doesn't work, please upload all the .ckv files so we can check it out. (If you don't have file hosting, you can e-mail them to me: my username @ the Keen Modding domain.)

Looks like a nice level!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Here are some ideas...

Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

I had once swapped the level numbers of Border Town and my level (my level is now #1 and Border Town is now #44), but the same problem still occurs in my level. Here's a link to the .ckv files that has my level included (which is still level 1):

-Download link removed-

Also, thanks, Fleexy! That revision looks better in my opinion, Roobar, although I think there's a bit too much bombs.

EDIT:I revised my level to look more like Roobar's revision, but with 3 less bombs. I haven't updated the download link and the problem still occurs, though.
Last edited by Quillax on Wed Mar 01, 2017 21:06, edited 1 time in total.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

By process of elimination, I found the problem. Foreground tile 077Ch, found in your level at (24, 20), animates to the next tile after 32 ticks. That tile, though, has no animation properties. Since animations are supposed to be looped if they automatically go forward at all, the game freezes. Use the Tile Property Modifier tool to set both Animation properties on tile 077Ch to zero; this fixes the problem. For most tileset problems, I would suggest the inspection mode (hit I) of the Tile Property Modifier, but it doesn't catch this. I will look into extending that feature.

I notice that no default level uses a pole through the Keen 3 rock material, and the tileset doesn't seem to have all the tiles needed to put together a complete pole pass-through. If that's a problem, you might consider removing the pole in favor of some jump-through platforms. (You could even throw in a splash of colorful background around it to spice up the center of the level.)
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Ah, okay. I changed my level, with the removal of the poles and foreground tile 077Ch being one of the changes made. It seems to be functioning perfectly with one player. Thanks, Fleexy! :D
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

Quinton wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:45 Also, I'd love to hear comments and constructive criticism on my level.
Hmm, I would say:

(a) Put a few lifeups in that empty column so that someone has to impossible-pogo to get them. Maybe a bomb, too.

and

(b-1) Remove the lip from that platform that has the bombs so that anyone who's up there can't hide from stunner shots.
or
(b-2) Swap the position of one of the bombs with that of one of the stunners from the bottom-right.
or do both.

I like design of the map, but I think that there should be more bombs on it because the terrain is quite undulating and it would probably be pretty easy to hide from stunners.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Enter-freezes are usually tile errors, if the game doesn't immediately crash. They can be the devil to figure out, though I've detailed how this can be done before. (Backup level, eliminate background, check; eliminate foreground, check...)
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Thanks for the feedback, Lemm! Looking back at it, I agree that a lot of bombs might be actually a good idea. I adjusted my level to use your suggestions. Also, that method seems like it could be a good one, Levellass.