South Korea's anti-modding laws

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

South Korea's anti-modding laws

Post by Keening_Product »

Interesting to see apparently all kinds of digital game modification have been reclassified as a criminal offence (as opposed to civil - google the difference if you don't know it before leaving any reply) in South Korea.

Article: https://pvplive.net/c/south-korea-passe ... sh-hack-ma

This seems to be aimed at those cheating in modern multiplayer titles more than Keeners making and distributing mods (I very much doubt any Keen modders would pursued but haven't really done much research), but it might be worth keeping an eye if the rules might affect you. Remember, criminal cases go to court differently to civil, which might mean minor cases are more actively pursued.

I wonder if any other countries will follow suit.

As noted before, I haven't really dug in and researched this, so I'd be happy to find out that I'm wrong about the possible scope of the new law.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
ScarletFlame
Vortininja

Post by ScarletFlame »

I have a Korean friend who plays overwatch, so this is pretty interesting. To think you got get arrested instead of getting banned.
RESTING SPACE
EXPLORER FACE
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

E-sports are a huge thing in Korea with loads of money involved. IMO it was only a matter of time before cheating got criminalized.
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

I Heard about it a few day's ago on the W.A.N Show
Giving that South Korea is very big into Esports Starcraft, Dota, LoL etc it does make some Sense when the Mod is a Cheat mod
and Considering most governments do not even knowing the basic level of Computing or Digital, how would they know about something like Modding, beyond hacking cheating?

I don't think many countries will follow suit, but again Sopa and Cispa almost happened... <.<
(but if it happened in the United Kingdom i would not be surprised, so many ridicules laws happen there....)
If Politicians are better informed about modding, it would be for the better and we should stand up to them.
and stay level headed even when they go back to the issue with violent video games. or the games where you kill kids, which every sane person have condemned.
The Difference Between a Mod and Fan art?, a Fan art is a Concept and a Mod is that Concept put into life.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

So hey, I need a place to hide out for the next month or so, does anyone have any hot tips?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Levellass wrote:So hey, I need a place to hide out for the next month or so, does anyone have any hot tips?
Internet café. I hear there are some amazing ones in Seoul. ;)
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

I'd probably pop across to Pyongyang if I were you, you will definitely be able to escape ROK legislation over there.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

My family has some interesting ties to Korea, this thread amuses me greatly.
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

@Levellass: :lol My thoughts exactly... I was thinking of heading to the coast of Norway. Let me know if you are nearby. :dopekeen
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.