It's time for a source mod project

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

It's time for a source mod project

Post by keenmaster486 »

With the release of the Keen Source Mod by lemm et al, it seems anything is possible.

From my perspective, how it this different from the Galaxy source code release holy grail that we've all been waiting for all these years? For all intents and purposes, isn't it just like having those coveted "Keen Sources"?

Anyway, I think it's time to do something with this. So my sister and I came up with an idea: (please, if you think this is stupid be completely honest)

This idea uses the Borg from Star Trek, because we thought it would be really cool if Keen fought the Borg, and also because it presents several opportunities for innovative code-modding features. If this is stupid or out of place let me know.

Basically, he's on his way back home from the Intergalactic Hero Conference on Planet Silurius when his ship is captured by the Borg, who were headed to that planet to assimilate it. He has to fight off the Borg and save the planet from destruction.
Gameplay could take place on the Borg ship and on the planet. Opportunities for new features could be:
-He has to set his neural stunner on "random frequency", so each shot is a different color every time he shoots
-Each Borg takes 5 shots by default to kill, but if he gets "powerups" for his stunner they could take 3, or 1.
-For his "dying" sequence, instead of dying like normal if he gets touched by a borg he gets assimilated.
-On the planet, there are normal people around that he has to protect, otherwise they are assimilated. He gets more points the more people he prevents from being assimilated.

And others.
Does anyone think it's not a good idea to mix Keen and Star Trek? Because if that's not acceptable then it's OK.

Also, I was wondering, would it be possible to do the following things to the Source Mod code?
-Implement an OPL3 music player, playing either DRO files or a new version of IMF which supports OPL3. OPL3 music is so much cooler than basic Adlib stuff, it would be awesome to have it in Keen. How hard would this be to do?
-Digital sound effects. The code could be imported from Wolf3D. This would leave an extra channel open for the music, and make multi-channel effects possible.
-Move the whole thing over to VGAGRAPH, using the code from Wolf3D. This would be awesome. Could we do it? Please please?

Anyway, let me know what you think!
I can do programming work and level design.
Oh, and my sister can do some great Borg sprites, I think.
If you want the story I have one written up that you can see.
Last edited by keenmaster486 on Thu Apr 28, 2016 20:04, edited 1 time in total.
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
furan
Meep

Post by furan »

The vgagraph work is in progress, still working on the scrolling routines.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

It's not unacceptable for Star Trek to make a guest appearance in a Keen game, but Keen is usually the one doing the cameos. The the added gameplay features are cool. The enemies don't necessarily have to be Borg. It would definitely be different the the comic book-like, quirky, cartoony universe we're used to Keen being in -- stars spinning of heads of stunned creatures and all that. But Star Trek is kinda silly sometimes, too. I can't think of a valid reason why Keen wouldn't run into Borg during space travels. It wouldn't be a crime if they bumped into each other. However, it doesn't gel, to my way of thinking. But who cares about that? It's a fan game, aye?
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

a bit off topic for my fellow german friends:

Dec 1994
  • Star Trek
    • Sinnlos im Weltraum
      • Siegerländer Dialekt
[/i]

the godfather of fansynchro
out now (link) : Image
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

furan wrote:The vgagraph work is in progress, still working on the scrolling routines.
:drool Woooo! I'm so excited to hear that. Hope it gets done soon. How do I get involved and help? I would so like to help as much as I am able with that and the other features I mentioned.
troublesomekeen wrote:The enemies don't necessarily have to be Borg. It would definitely be different the the comic book-like, quirky, cartoony universe we're used to Keen being in -- stars spinning of heads of stunned creatures and all that. But Star Trek is kinda silly sometimes, too.
Yes. Although I wonder what other enemies would be on the Borg ship... robots perhaps? Maybe robotic tentacles and cables coming out of the ceiling to get you? Hmm... however, it should be easy to come up with enemies for the planet's surface. And I think the addition of VGA graphics would kind of justify the slightly less "cartoony" feel.
Nisaba: I'm not german but I want to know what that means all the same 8) Google translate is no help... :confused
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

When I saw Batman V Supermen, I thought "I've seen it all". But no. I have yet to see more. Like Keen Trek game. :crazy :crazy :crazy :crazy :crazy :crazy :crazy