Netkeen on real DOS computer: how to?

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Netkeen on real DOS computer: how to?

Post by keenmaster486 »

Hi all,

My sister and I want to play NetKeen using my DOS computer, and I need advice on how to set this up.

It's a Pentium/100 system with a 3COM 3c905 ethernet network adapter. I want to hook it to my wifi router, so I can network it with any other computer running DOSBox. How does this work, and how does the IPX system interface with TCP/IP which is used by the router? And would NetKeen even work with this, considering it was mostly intended for DOSBox?

I tried to install the drivers for the 3com card but it gave me an error that I can't install under Windows 95. I don't have Windows 95, so why is it doing this?

On a side note: I've noticed that Atroxian Realm seems to be devoid of the dreaded "jerky graphics" bug on ATI video cards (my DOS computer has one). Is there a way to fix this in the source code for NetKeen?

Thank you all for your help!
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Use IPX rather than TCP/IP. I did manage to get some level of connectivity via the Microsoft TCP/IP stack (MS Client 3 with an NDIS driver), but it tended to be very flaky so that approach is best used for file sharing.

This is the summary of my adventure figuring it out way too many years ago:

https://web.archive.org/web/20080408061 ... 15152.html

https://web.archive.org/web/20051126010 ... pxdos.html
Basically, one runs LSL.COM, then the network card's ODI driver, and then IPXODI.COM.
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

Hey, thanks! That's great. So how does this interface with my wifi router, then? Does it give the DOS machine an IP address even though it's just using IPX and not TCP/IP? And can I use this, then, with any other computer running DOSBox's IPX emulation?
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

The router won't supply a regular IP address, and you won't be able to connect to DOSBox instances as it only emulates IPX via a TCP/IP connection.