Keen 60

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Keen 60

Post by Levellass »

A little something very, very slowly crawling along, hopefully seeing some sort of release on Keen Day (Or Mort day, see below.) Keen 60 details the adventures of President Mortimer McMire as he deals with the imminent, nay, actively in-progress invasion of the Kreegs. With Keen a fat, hopeless mess the world is forced to rely on Mortimer or face certain destruction!

Quality not guaranteed.

But I am curious, what would adult Mort look like, in Keen sprite terms? My imagination is not that great. Also, if anyone has any unused or leftover story art that'd be cool too since it takes a long time to make and long times I do not have anymore.

But yeah, this is a thing now.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

A sequel to Underworld?

If Keen is going be his fat, hopeless self again--which isn't consistent with his character, imo--(however, it works in Bernie's favor; good-for-nothing Keen is more endearing and interesting than a straight-laced, goody-two-shoes, dapper dan Keen), then I suppose Mortimer would either have to be the exact opposite, or twice as fat and hopeless as Keen. Ideas? Uhhhhh

Did Mort grow up to be tall?
Does he wear a suit and tie because he's a president?
Does he still wear a helmet? Did he switch to a different piece of headgear?
Does he have a trademark gadget with him at all times?
Messy hair? False teeth? Muscular or skinny and nerdy?

This grown-up business though. Keen can never really grow up. He's like Peter Pan. It's trapped in a kids' story. It's like Christopher Robin again. The story ends when childhood ends, which again is why Roib works. If the story were to continue even though it can't, it needs that bizarre break. It's unexpected to see Keen a loser. Maybe Mort need some sort of over-the-top makeover. Mort should be just as shocking, yeah.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

Ruin of Roib actually answers this question in the story text:

It looks like Mortimer wears a business suit and the same old football helmet.

Also, if you're keeping in line with 58's canon, you might want to boot up Ruin of Roib and check out the super secret 24th page of "The Game" in the help menu. It gives some teaser information about alien activity on Earth.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Plasma Captain wrote:Ruin of Roib actually answers this question in the story text:

It looks like Mortimer wears a business suit and the same old football helmet.

Also, if you're keeping in line with 58's canon, you might want to boot up Ruin of Roib and check out the super secret 24th page of "The Game" in the help menu. It gives some teaser information about alien activity on Earth.
Good find! He looks like Donald Trump.
{DARKDUNE}
Vortininja

Post by {DARKDUNE} »

wiivn wrote:He looks like Donald Trump.
donald trump ''BING! BONG!'' vine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCFPbBDGthA :p
Netkeen TUIT coming up
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

I get the feeling Mortimer was yet again enacting some evil plan, maybe he brainwashed Americans to make him president? Just look at that smug face!

If so, it makes even more sense if he wants to stop the Kreeg, because he does it in order to prevent them from ruining his evil plan with their own.

Last but not least, it looks like Mort would be in a pretty good shape. His physical shape is probably that of your average action hero (albeit slighly less muscular). Something like Snake Logan.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
ScarletFlame
Vortininja

Post by ScarletFlame »

Seeing Mortimer was freaking president of the unitied states I wanted to see a mod describe that. And I'm really glad it's going to be a thing, since I'm actually really curious how and why he became president.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I have a backstory for it, Donald Trump failed to became president, making Mort see that perhaps humanity wasn't hopeless after all. From that day onward he vowed to use his incredible intellect to further his species.

Also to become mega rich and famous.

Code: Select all

This grown-up business though. Keen can never really grow up. He's like Peter Pan. It's trapped in a kids' story. It's like Christopher Robin again. The story ends when childhood ends, which again is why Roib works. If the story were to continue even though it can't, it needs that bizarre break. It's unexpected to see Keen a loser. Maybe Mort need some sort of over-the-top makeover. Mort should be just as shocking, yeah.
I don't know, that's kind of... sad. One of the darker elements of the original Pan is that Peter *doesn't* grow up, or even have any sort of serious life. He murders the lost boys when they get too old, Tinkerbell dies and he doesn't really remember her because his mind is always in the present. To reduce Keen to that, that's terrible.

Yeah, Mort needs a little... *something*, something to make you go 'Huh, never saw him doing *that*'.

I get the feeling Mortimer was yet again enacting some evil plan, maybe he brainwashed Americans to make him president? Just look at that smug face!
Now that might be an idea. Though I think a simple 'Evil guy was evil all along!' reveal would be too obvious. No... I think you have something there...
ScarletFlame
Vortininja

Post by ScarletFlame »

Levellass wrote:Yeah, Mort needs a little... *something*, something to make you go 'Huh, never saw him doing *that*'.
He kills people.
Actually wait no nvm that's too obvious.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

ScarletFlame wrote:
Levellass wrote:Yeah, Mort needs a little... *something*, something to make you go 'Huh, never saw him doing *that*'.
He kills people.
Actually wait no nvm that's too obvious.
Nono, you may be on to something there...
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

So Underground Ultimate is getting a sequel? (still needs to play keen 59)
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

A sequel in no way supported by or endorsed by the original author.

So you know, like what most mods are.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

But in Keen 58 he said it was supposed to be a trilogy... I guess you're just finishing the job for him?
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

*Pointedly avoids mentioning the Keen 6 ending*