Idea for a 4-level keen 6 community mod

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.

support?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 26, 2016 17:20

yes
75%
no
25%

Total votes: 4

{DARKDUNE}
Vortininja

Idea for a 4-level keen 6 community mod

Post by {DARKDUNE} »

UPDATE:

Some ideas in what way to edit the tilesheet
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8jx7zwob6tkr9 ... D.png?dl=0

some IMF:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/68id6fhsry4x ... HaJia?dl=0

Capybara Sprite (no animation yet)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wws6qslik1z06 ... 1.png?dl=0

This is an idea for a 4-level keen 6 community mod.

New story/plot (supplied by Grimson):

Keen finds out that aliens have been kidnapping rare creatures from Earth, so he goes to investigate in the Amazon. He follows the aliens to space, and in the end, finds out the aliens have been on good intentions; abducting and preserving endangered species by cloning them, so they can be saved from certain extinction on Earth. Keen scolds the aliens for their rather brute approach, but appreciates the effort. In the epilogue all the animals and some of their clones are returned on Earth.

- the levels would be: worldmap, three rainforest levels, one spaceship level

Graphics

Sprites

- Keen canoing (worldmap) as a replacement for keen walking

- enemies:
- Jaguar (Fleex replacement)
- Spider Monkey (Bloog replacement)
- Tapir (Gik replacement (?))
- Caiman (Nospike replacement (?))
- Dart Frog (Bobba; Babobba replacment)
- Black Ant (Red Blooglet replacement)
- Red Ant (Blue Blooglet replacement)
- Thin Spider (Yellow Blooglet replacement)
- Capybara (Green Blooglet replacement)
- Harpy Eagle (Orbatrix replacement)
- Anaconda (Ceilick replacement (???))
- Alien (Flect replacement)
- Drones (Blorb, Bipship replacments)
- Final Boss (Blooguard replacement (with some patches, obviously)

Backgound Tiles

- rainforest background, mangrove forest background
- machinery/robot background (spaceship level)

Foreground

- platform styles:

- rainforest floor
- mangrove forest tree stuff
- machinery stuff
- rainforest tree stuff

- poles:

- vines for rainforest and mangrove forest
- normal poles for spaceship level
- worldmap stuff (level entrances, forest, amazon river)

- translucent water tiles (no hazard, only goes like one tile high so keen can stand in it)

- three items he needs to access new worldmap areas (sandwich, grappling hook, keycard replacements)

- Keygems, doors, switches, bridges only in spaceship level

These are some ideas for a community mod; this is basically for people who like leveldesigning or graphic designing but don't want to spend the rest of their lives making a galaxy mod on their own. :p
Last edited by {DARKDUNE} on Sun Feb 28, 2016 15:54, edited 4 times in total.
Netkeen TUIT coming up
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Sorry, but I don't like the story. I think Billy's sister should not know anything about his BWBM, let alone piloting it! She should be the typical annoying girly-girl, playing with dolls and such. Billy and Mortimer are the ones with high IQ. And aliens attacking with nuclear weapons? They should be more intelligent that that. If Mortimer can destroy a whole galaxy, why aliens should attack Earth with such a primitive weapon? And the entire thing with nuclear disaster - it's too earth-like. That's a lack of fantasy.
{DARKDUNE}
Vortininja

Post by {DARKDUNE} »

thank you for the feedback wivin. as i said, the story is pretty loose at the moment and some stuff still needs explaining. also, the story can still be changed to something that the average pckf-er likes, although i would prefer the jungle-theme to stay, because that is something not often seen in keen mods. maybe the jungle is on a different planet? :p
i declared this a community mod so that everyone can alter everything he or she dislikes. this whole ideaa could be completely twisted around, I don't care about that as long as the average keen player likes it. The more people make suggestions, the more people will like this mod. Do you have a suggestion in which way to alter the plot?
Netkeen TUIT coming up
{DARKDUNE}
Vortininja

Post by {DARKDUNE} »

Also:
the main idea of this mod is that keen canoes through a river on the world map instead of plain walking, plus the aforementioned translucent water tiles and the mangrove atmosphere. the plot was written in like 20 minutes and is not required for the atmosphere of the mod. :p
Netkeen TUIT coming up
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

I see how a lush jungle environment would be interesting, but I agree with wiivn, the background story should be revisited. A nuclear disaster on Earth sounds too harsh for a Keen tale.

How about something like this: Keen finds out that aliens have been kidnapping rare creatures from Earth, so he goes to investigate in the Amazon/some other jungle. He follows the aliens to space, and in the end, finds out the aliens have been on good intentions; abducting and preserving endangered species by cloning them, so they can be saved from certain extinction on Earth. Keen scolds the aliens for their rather brute approach, but appreciates the effort. In the epilogue all the animals and some of their clones are returned on Earth. Yay for happy endings!
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
{DARKDUNE}
Vortininja

Post by {DARKDUNE} »

Grimson wrote:I see how a lush jungle environment would be interesting, but I agree with wiivn, the background story should be revisited. A nuclear disaster on Earth sounds too harsh for a Keen tale.

How about something like this: Keen finds out that aliens have been kidnapping rare creatures from Earth, so he goes to investigate in the Amazon/some other jungle. He follows the aliens to space, and in the end, finds out the aliens have been on good intentions; abducting and preserving endangered species by cloning them, so they can be saved from certain extinction on Earth. Keen scolds the aliens for their rather brute approach, but appreciates the effort. In the epilogue all the animals and some of their clones are returned on Earth. Yay for happy endings!
luv the story; amazing work, grimson! This mod needs more people like you! ;)
Netkeen TUIT coming up
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Like the new story.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
{DARKDUNE}
Vortininja

Post by {DARKDUNE} »

some possible IMFs:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pvr0tn7e7bmzp ... n.imf?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zd4kxzbjzyspl ... t.imf?dl=0

BTW, levelass, would you volunteer to make some lil patches for this after some graphics and lvldesign stuff is sorted out? The following patches would be needed:
a) keen's worldmap movement speed and the green blooglet's speed both being about 60 percent of the orignal speed
b) the blooguard replacement taking 1 shot to stun and ten more shots to kill or something else that makes him a final-boss-like creature
c) some random cool stuff like activateble spikes or poles (dunno if that's achievable by patching tho)
that would be amazing
Netkeen TUIT coming up
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Patches are my forte, it'd be the least I can do.

This controls Keen's map movement speed:

Code: Select all

#Keen's map movement speed
%patch $320FA $0018W $0018W

This sets it to 60% the original:

#Keen's map movement speed -60% original
%patch $320FA $000EW $000EW

Same with the green Blooglet here:

#Green Blooglet speed -60% original
%patch $32F88 $004DW $0000W
%patch $32FA6 $004DW $0000W
%patch $32FC4 $004DW $0000W
%patch $32FE2 $004DW $0000W
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
{DARKDUNE}
Vortininja

Post by {DARKDUNE} »

Thanks, lass!

I will post the first sprite, the capybara, here after some finalization.
I'm gonna test how it looks in-game with lass's patch and maybe add some dithering to the legs.
Netkeen TUIT coming up
{DARKDUNE}
Vortininja

Post by {DARKDUNE} »

i'm having trouble with modkeen!
it won't export keen6 graphics because ''EGAHEAD chunk 3'' can't be decompressed due to memory trouble. that way, I can't import my editeded keengraph sprites either (transparency mask requirement etc); i have also tried downloading Lmodkeen to bypass the memory problems, but all downloadlinks for Lmodkeen are dead. :dead2
aid required.
Netkeen TUIT coming up
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

What's the issue with keengraph? It's hands down the best graphics utility as of now.
{DARKDUNE}
Vortininja

Post by {DARKDUNE} »

Nospike wrote:What's the issue with keengraph? It's hands down the best graphics utility as of now.
it was the different keen 6 versions of mine that confused me; keengraph would only allow the use of keen6c.exe while modkeen allowed only keen6.exe. my copy of keen6c was corrupted, which i only now understood. i re-downloaded it and it works perfectly now. :)
Netkeen TUIT coming up