Netkeen uTUIT

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.

should netkeen utuit be made

noooo
No votes
yeah
92%
yeah. i might contribute a map or two
8%

Total votes: 12

{DARKDUNE}
Vortininja

Netkeen uTUIT

Post by {DARKDUNE} »

Hello fellas. For quite some time now I've been creating Netkeen uTUIT, and 7 maps for keen 8 are sort of finished now.
You can have a look at em here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5DUgIX8x5I
if someone wants to contribute some maps, i will give him/her the link to my netkeen utuit dropbox folder.
anyone can contribute maps of course. that would bring a great variety of map styles. :dopefish
Netkeen TUIT coming up
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Promising stuff. I'm not a big fan of the surprise water death floor (can you even see it if you look down from the last ledge?) or the super abundance of ammunition though. Having close to unlimited ammo availability takes the tactically out of the game.

But yeah, I'm otherwise looking forward to playing this.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
{DARKDUNE}
Vortininja

Post by {DARKDUNE} »

Keening_Product wrote:can you even see it if you look down from the last ledge?
yep. you can also see it from the room left to it when going down the pole. but you're right; maybe i'll edit that.
Keening_Product wrote: the super abundance of ammunition
oh yes, noticed that one aswell. i'll edit that.
Keening_Product wrote:But yeah, I'm otherwise looking forward to playing this.
thank you very much.
Netkeen TUIT coming up
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Have you tested these in a 2-4 player match?

A couple major things to think about:

Tiles aren't being used as intended, and while not necessarily bad, it does look bad in particular instances. What's up with the desert background? And the lack of background for the pole holes?

Several levels have long straight platforms, or are open to having shots fly from one end of the screen to the other uninterrupted. While it can occasionally be fun to be on both ends of this situation, generally I don't think levels should enable this kind of behavior unless that is explicitly the theme. (this applies to going to the bottom of the map and just shooting up as well).

Other levels have extremely confined areas to fight in (the first hydro level and second desert level).

Hazards that are not easily avoidable are unpopular in netkeen. That basically means any hazard that isn't in a pit: cactus spikes, purple pokers, etc.

All that said, my favorite level here is the underground arena. I think with a few adjustments it'll be a fantastic level. I'm not sure why there are point items on it though, it doesn't seem suited for a points race match.

Good luck, glad to see you're making progress! :)
{DARKDUNE}
Vortininja

Post by {DARKDUNE} »

Ceilick wrote:What's up with the desert background?
i'm having trouble with that one due to the limitations of the netkeen tilesheets; i'll probably try importing some more background tiles via galactile or something
Ceilick wrote:Several levels have long straight platforms, or are open to having shots fly from one end of the screen to the other uninterrupted. While it can occasionally be fun to be on both ends of this situation, generally I don't think levels should enable this kind of behavior unless that is explicitly the theme. (this applies to going to the bottom of the map and just shooting up as well).
altough that is exactly the theme i am aiming at, i can see your point. the second desert level and the one with the weirdish orange/red platforms will probably be edited
Ceilick wrote:Other levels have extremely confined areas to fight in (the first hydro level and second desert level).
i am planning to expand the areas in these levels but leave the overall theme the same
Ceilick wrote:Hazards that are not easily avoidable are unpopular in netkeen. That basically means any hazard that isn't in a pit: cactus spikes, purple pokers, etc.
ok, didn't know that. will be edited
Ceilick wrote:All that said, my favorite level here is the underground arena. I think with a few adjustments it'll be a fantastic level. I'm not sure why there are point items on it though, it doesn't seem suited for a points race match.
looking back at that, i am not sure why i placed the point items; they will either be removed or the level will be edited to be acceptable for a point race match
Ceilick wrote:Have you tested these in a 2-4 player match?
i haven't done that yet, but i will probably do that after some serios revision of the maps
thx for the feedback!
Netkeen TUIT coming up
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Ah yes the tile space limitations. I believe I got around these, particularly with keen 6, with a lot of reorganization and removing world map tiles. I'm not sure if keen 8 has that many times (I recall I didn't use nearly the entirety of the tilesets) but may be a place to start.
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

I don't think maps for duels should be bigger than a couple of screens.

"High Noon" in the Vorticons pack is my favorite.

The promo video looks great. Thanks for making these!
{DARKDUNE}
Vortininja

Post by {DARKDUNE} »

lemm wrote:The promo video looks great. Thanks for making these!
no problem man! if netkeen utuit turns out good, i'll maybe try making maps for atroxian realm, sign of the vool (when it's come out) and ocflore project (again, when it's come out)
Netkeen TUIT coming up
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

Hey {DARKDUNE}, just wondering what the current status of UTUIT Netkeen is. I've been anxiously awaiting it for a while now. Thanks!
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
{DARKDUNE}
Vortininja

Post by {DARKDUNE} »

keenmaster486 wrote:Hey {DARKDUNE}, just wondering what the current status of UTUIT Netkeen is. I've been anxiously awaiting it for a while now. Thanks!
I'm currently working on some keen 7 maps; i plan to release netkeen versions of keen 7 8 and 9 together, so you'll probably have to be patient. Since you are interested in this project though, i will post another preview very soon. :)
Netkeen TUIT coming up
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

Awesome, thanks very much!
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.