tilesheets of ceilick's TUIT needed

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
{DARKDUNE}
Vortininja

tilesheets of ceilick's TUIT needed

Post by {DARKDUNE} »

Can someone please send me tilesheet bitmaps of ceilick's keen 7, 8 and 9?
I want to do a netkeen mod with TUIT graphics and new maps :dopefish
Netkeen TUIT coming up
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

If you're going to make a mod, I think it would be best if you experiment and practice extracting the graphics of Keen 7, 8 and 9 with modkeen and/or keengraph.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
{DARKDUNE}
Vortininja

Post by {DARKDUNE} »

ok thx :dopefish
Netkeen TUIT coming up
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

To elaborate a little:
Get a copy of keengraph (obviously) and place it in the same folder as the ck(4/5/6) files
Open dosbox in the folder (or windows command prompt depending on the version)

Now for the fun part! run:

keengraph -export -episode=numberhere -bmpdir='PATH\YOU\WANT\HERE'

replace the path and number with what you need, the number should match the ck* files (for ck4 do -episode=4 and so on, not 7,8,9 for which mod)

to import just do the same thing only change the '-export' to '-import'
Hope this helps more :D [Edit]Almost forgot! More info on keengraph here: http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Keengraph
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

MoffD wrote:To elaborate a little:
Get a copy of keengraph (obviously)
He does not need to get keengraph. It's within Abiathar!

Here is the Keen 7 tileset (you'll might need to convert them into bmp):

4TIL-16-MASKED.BMP

4TIL-16-UNMASKED

Here is the Keen 8 tileset:

6TIL-16-MASKED.BMP

6TIL-16-UNMASKED.BMP

However, I have difficulties with extracting the Keen 9 tilesets. It says "error with file keen5e". EGADICT.CK5...not found
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

I have a few old modkeen extractions lying around:

Last edited by troublesomekeen on Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:31, edited 1 time in total.
{DARKDUNE}
Vortininja

Post by {DARKDUNE} »

oh thank you really much guys!!!
btw what would be the best program for this mod? i have difficulties dealing wit abiathar, since it cannot generate patches for netkeen. should i use the omegametic or is there a better program to do this mod?
also, i have difficulties inserting the netkeen graphics (the bombs and stuff) into the tileset correctly. any tips on that?
Netkeen TUIT coming up
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

NetKeen does not require patches; there is no mechanism for doing so. I believe Lemm used LModKeen to import the graphics, but I think KeenGraph can deal with it (maybe). I suggest starting from an existing NetKeen tileset and inserting the other stuff, then re-importing.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

I wouldn't mess with patches in NetKeen. Making your own levels and graphics? I dabbled in that a bit: https://youtu.be/CB3CBf4PNwo

Check out this page: http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/NetKeen
Scroll all the way down to the bottom and there you will find a download link to the "Netkeen Modding and Levelling Package" which is what I used to import my Robo Red sprite.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Cool project; I had actually intended to make this back in Netkeen's heyday but it's actually quite a bit of work to set up a new tileset. You will need to create an entirely new .tli file and edit each tile property manually (AFAIK, there is no way to simply use the .tli file from the mods themselves). The best tool for this is Galactile.

As folks have mentioned, Netkeen doesn't use patches, so Abiather shouldn't be a problem. That said, the Netkeen modding and leveling package includes a version of TOM which can also be used, as well as Galactile.
{DARKDUNE}
Vortininja

Post by {DARKDUNE} »

troublesomekeen wrote:there you will find a download link to the "Netkeen Modding and Levelling Package"
OK thx
Ceilick wrote: You will need to create an entirely new .tli file and edit each tile property manually.
The best tool for this is Galactile.
alrightey!
Netkeen TUIT coming up
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

An alternative to Galactile is Abiathar's built-in Tile Property Modifier.

Also, woah, I'm sure you don't want to manually fix all the tileinfo or fiddle around with tile sheets. I used FMod.dll (FleexCore2, ships with Abiathar) and a bit of programming to automate the conversion process.

Download NetKeen resources for TUIT

The levels look butchered because I used the Keen 4 NetKeen levels as a base for all the episodes. All tileinfo and graphics have been transferred, but I wasn't able to get all the background tiles of Keen 8 and 9 into NetKeen because NetKeen has a smaller background tileset.

You can also download the tool I used to do this: NetKeen Tile Migration Tool (NKTMT). It takes a boatload of command-line parameters, in this order: source EGAGRAPH, source EGAHEAD, source EGADICT (might need to track down the default one for your episode), source TLI, source unmasked tile start, source unmasked tile end, source masked tile start, source mask tile end, NK EGAGRAPH, NK EGAHEAD, NK EGADICT, NK GAMEMAPS, NK MAPHEAD, NK unmasked tile start, NK unmasked tile end, NK masked tile start, NK masked tile end, source infoplane icon count, NK infoplane icon count, NK unmasked 8x8 tile chunk, NK unmasked 8x8 count, NK masked 8x8 count. All parameters are required.

I haven't tested these resources in-game, but Abiathar can load them successfully. If you run into any trouble, give me a poke. Also note that modding NetKeen is easier with Abiathar because it can deal automatically with tileinfo in the MAPHEAD (TOM, at least when I used it last, destroys combined tileinfo when you save).

Good luck!
{DARKDUNE}
Vortininja

Post by {DARKDUNE} »

wow thx fleexy!
Netkeen TUIT coming up
{DARKDUNE}
Vortininja

Post by {DARKDUNE} »

why does dosbox say ERROR: BAD SHIFT NUMBERS when i try starting the mod?
Netkeen TUIT coming up
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Hmm, I must have messed something up in the transfer. I'll check in on that sometime soon, hopefully.