The Ocflore Project

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

:pogo Woah. These shots are absolutely gorgeous. There's some great depth in these images and so many clever graphical elements. Fantastic work, Bubbatom.

I do think that stone wall in the first image looks a little flat, though. If it isn't too difficult, adding a little depth would look better.

This makes me wish I could try a mod with some more complex graphical elements since AR is too bloated for most of this stuff. I know what you mean about time constraints and lack of motivation, but seeing this stuff definitely gives me some inspiration.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Man, makes me wish I could get all my lesser projects out f the way and work on my big ideas.

Sadly a lot of my stuff got wiped in a computer crash.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

Those are some very nice visuals, this is looking neat
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Beautiful, really love the blue and grey color schemes, and the sparing green in the last two make it really visually stunning. Great designs, dithering, and tiling. Really like that stone door in image two, and the tree branches in the second to last.

Like Gridlock said, there is some issue with perspective. This is most evident with the stone wall background in the first image, as well as the wall in the third image. The hut in the fourth image has this issue as well. For the stone walls, adding some shading variation and depth to the side and top edges will help. For the hut, a slimmer roof or some pillars in the foreground will help bring it into the same perspective as the platforms.

Be wary of all the pointed wood tiles and their appearance as deadly spikes. Blunting the tips might help, or using less black in the outlining, or maybe some solution through level design.

I really like the jungle background in the last image, particularly the brown palm-like trees and the brown stones. You might consider making the tree top section a bit wider. For the hills, the blue definitely helps in differentiating from the tree tops and helps establish depth, but you might consider less black outlining to give a more distant look.

The depth of field and perspective goes way beyond the original games, it's definitely a challenge to have these multilayered backgrounds. But they're a coming along great; beautiful world you're creating.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Gorgeous themes. Absolutely love the last two.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

KeenRush wrote:Gorgeous themes. Absolutely love the last two.
Nice looking, although some objects get lost. Maybe VGA graphics would help.

Commander Genius now supports more colors with HQP so this would be a cool mod with richer colors...
Having fun developing stuff...
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

I keep drooling at those screenshots :drool :drool :drool
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Last edited by Bubbatom on Wed Jan 21, 2015 13:05, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

i approve of this fanart
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Fantastic art, really just to stare and stare at it...
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

This is incredible. If you want it to show up on the forum, you need to save it in a different format other than bitmap. I think png or jpeg should work.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Thanks for the feedback guys, I guess I got a little sick of drawing pixel by pixel.

Thanks for the heads up Gridlock!
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Too much on tomorrow, so I thought I'd do the Keen Day update tonight.

One demo level (Pelagic Pillars) and some story snippets in the story section in F1 help menu:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/531 ... 20Demo.zip

I've given the level a small clean up, but it's definitely not done!

Enemies are lacking, partly because I haven't finished enough behaviours and partly because Levellass has gone walk about (probably more computer issues?) with fixing existing patches. You can point out issues, but I probably already know about them and just couldn't get around to fixing them before today.

The level is really just a taste of what's to come.

Not sure whether this deserves a thread in the release forum. It can sit here for now!

Please enjoy what's there!
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Definitely worthy of a release topic of its own. :) Marvellous -- one of the best sceneries ever in mods, this theme. Really soothing. Loving all the detail, from the tiles to sprites like the jellyfish moving under water.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Tried this a bit - this looks and plays just great!