Suburb Shenanigans

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
wolfcub7
Vortininja

Post by wolfcub7 »

This looks cool and a nice change to all those space adventures.
I hope this is released soon! :)

P.S.
I can't find the Where Is Everybody mod?
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

I do believe Where Is Everybody hasn't been released yet. I hear it has gone through various vamps & revamps.
I just watched the SS Demo video again. It looks too good to be true.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

It looks to be wrapping up,t he final patches are being coded as we speak. But when, when will it be released? Only Tom knows.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

I hope this is released soon!
But when, when will it be released?

Well, I really am getting sick of this, and I've got a big slab of holidays in a weeks time. Seems like the perfect time to finish it off.

There really isn't much to do, levels are done, (most, all but one) enemies are done and all story and help text sections are done.
The only thing that's really holding this back is patching (as Levellass will send me a patch and then there'll be something within it that I'll need changed, and this may go back and fourth for weeks), music issues, a few bugs and issues involving text & the scrolling story and my lack of motivation.

If Lass and I knuckle down over the next few weeks I'm hoping for New Year's.

Thanks for the new posts on the thread, good to see that some people care, boosts my motivation.
cyber zero
Vortininja

Post by cyber zero »

It would be a great gift for the holidays :)
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Hopefully a few things will be released at or before New ear's.

I just sent a big patch over Bub, I have a week of big patching ahead (Though on six(!) different projects) so hopefully we can nail all of those and I can get to ripping off your graphics for my own projects.
mortimermcmirestinks
Owner of Club Vort

Post by mortimermcmirestinks »

This is an amazing mod idea.

Aaand I have nothing else interesting to say. :o
...says the most charming guy in the room.

I'm back... kind of? Not really.

You can also find me here.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Levellass wrote:I just sent a big patch over Bub, I have a week of big patching ahead (Though on six(!) different projects) so hopefully we can nail all of those and I can get to ripping off your graphics for my own projects.
The fate of the world depends solely on Levelllass.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Again.
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Myself this time last year wrote:So today is the (hopefully only) annual Suburbs update
So much for that eh?

It sure is close though. I'm really up to the point where I've started planning out my next mod (well I've had some great ideas floating around for almost two years now, just putting them on paper now). I can do this because my work on the mod is basically done, I'm just sorting out patches with lass now. And then there'll be the boss battle to sort out.

There isn't much more to say for the moment so here's a little extract for the mod's help section as to how I'm felling about it;
Parts of the Help Text wrote: The purpose of this mod was really to explore a part of the Keen story that has had little revealed.
This mod didn't turn out the way I planned. I imaged it a lot bigger, with half of the game taking place in the suburbs, and the other half taking place at Billy's School. This wasn't possible due to the tilesets being too small for these two halves.
Instead, you're getting the first half.

This mod...
has been a real pain. Levels took about two weeks to make, each, enemies weren't behaving, and to top it off, it's only half as long as I would've liked. But you have a look at the tilesets! Not much more would've fit in there!
I'm only sixteen and I feel as though this mod has been more of a burden than a hobby, I'm keen to get working on other projects lined up. I reckon the reason I haven't enjoyed this as much as making my levelpack is because there isn't anything exciting about the suburbs, graphics were a chore to draw (especially in paint) and level design just isn't fun when you're designing houses.

The Future...
I hope that sometime I'll get around to make the second part of Suburb Shenanigans, after making this part I'm not so keen to just jump in and get it done.
On the bright side, the whole time I've been working on this mod I've had great ideas brewing in my head for my next modding project and one amazing story idea. I'm keen to get to work on this one, but I reckon I'll leave it for three or four months. Here's a little hint for the mod though; the first level will be very similar to the drawing I entered in the level drawing competition last year.

So that's that. I really am hoping this doesn't drag on too much longer, as I'm looking forward to my next project.

Tom
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I have been looking over everything and found a few little bugs (Some levels aren't properly marked as done because of the way they're exited, this will need patching around, one level can't be exited on hard mode...) so I'm already working on some playtesting. It may pay to go through the entire mod and try some memory minimization tricks which also might free up some tile space.

And graphics, I'm totally stealing all of them.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

What's news with this mod?
Yeah, piece of cake!
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

This mod has bees. And beehives.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

troublesomekeen wrote:This mod has bees. And beehives.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
This should definitely be used as a level entrance for some level in this mod :)
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Kac-kac, smile, smile.
Yeah, piece of cake!