Return to Shmaynoria (Screenshots on Page 6)

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

DHeadshot wrote:Shmaynoria 1 was just the best mod I ever played, fantastically done from beginning to end and made Ceilick look like a bit of an amateur in comparison. Therefore, I think I should be able to be forgiven for wanting a sequel...
I'm not quite sure how serious you are, but while your support is inspiring and very much appreciated, saying stuff like that really comes across as either sarcastic or just plain absurd.

While I think Shmaynoria is good for what it is, by no means do I consider myself better than anyone else, especially such veterans as Ceilick and Szemi.

And even if that were true, I don't feel it's right to openly make comparisons like that. That behavior only breeds competition, hostility and bitterness between users, and completely ruins the fun of an active modding community in my honest opinion. I don't like my work being judged or compared, even if it's in my favor.

I know I've talked trash about Ceilick's TUIT trilogy, but it was clearly hyperbole, and any legitimate criticisms were either constructive or due to the fact that I hold TUIT to a higher standard than any other mods.

Ceilick is aware of this, but I just hope that I haven't alluded anyone into thinking I'm somehow arrogant, or that I think I'm more important than everyone else.

That's simply not the case, and if that's what you think of me, then surely you're just not familiar with my sense of humor.

Anyway, at this point it feels that I've destroyed any comical value that Shmaynoria had by over-analyzing and exploiting the "humor" of the game, but rest assured it will be finished, and I will put full effort into making it as fun as possible.

Any support or suggestions is very much appreciated, and I really am glad you liked the first game, DHS. :)
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

I'm excited to see this one make it. Your first one was fun and original.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Paramultart wrote:
DHeadshot wrote:Shmaynoria 1 was just the best mod I ever played, fantastically done from beginning to end and made Ceilick look like a bit of an amateur in comparison. Therefore, I think I should be able to be forgiven for wanting a sequel...
I'm not quite sure how serious you are, but while your support is inspiring and very much appreciated, saying stuff like that really comes across as either sarcastic or just plain absurd.
I was completely serious, though I was partly capitalising(?) on your comments on UTUIT...

My personal opinion on UTUIT is that, though they are good mods, people make them out to seem better than they are. I'm just left wondering what all the fuss is about to be honest...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

It's what the fandom has been waiting for for two decades, I believe TvTropes calls it Hype Backlash.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I'm considering recreating the first game in a new engine and bundling it with the sequel, so Shmaynoria would be a "fan-game" and not technically a mod. This would speed up development time significantly. Any objections?
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Paramultart wrote:I'm considering recreating the first game in a new engine and bundling it with the sequel, so Shmaynoria would be a "fan-game" and not technically a mod. This would speed up development time significantly. Any objections?
I prefer the original engine, but if you want to do so and just call it Shmaynoria Plus or something, feel free...
Cereal Board!
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I'm fairly certain I could replicate the engine faithfully, and it would pave the way for more features and would allow me to implement an animated intro and end sequence like I had planned.

If I did this, there would be no Shmay 2 Keen mod. The sequel would be made entirely in the new engine.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Paramultart wrote:If I did this, there would be no Shmay 2 Keen mod. The sequel would be made entirely in the new engine.
I thought you were going to do it as a Keen 4 mod? Will your new engine handle the Keen 4 graphics-style?
Cereal Board!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

A fan game?

*Images of clink-n-play*

Whelp, my hope has died. How 'bout yours?
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Levellass wrote:A fan game?

*Images of clink-n-play*

Whelp, my hope has died. How 'bout yours?
Great, now Paramultart will do that as a troll. Thanks for giving him ideas, Levellass >:
Cereal Board!
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

DHeadshot wrote:and made Ceilick look like a bit of an amateur in comparison
Blasphemy.

Regardless, Like I said, this is an exciting project, I realld did enjoy shmay 1.
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Great, now Paramultart will do that as a troll. Thanks for giving him ideas, Levellass
Awww, but he's so cute!

mortimer
Blistering Barnacles

Post by mortimer »

:garg :garg :garg :garg :garg
Last edited by mortimer on Sun Jul 12, 2020 20:15, edited 1 time in total.
Billions of blue blistering barnacles in a thousand thundering typhoons!
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

This whole project was a troll. There is no Shmaynoria 2. Never was, and never will be.

I will, however, repackage the original Shmaynoria with a new set of levels, proper ending, and a few other goodies. You could still call it a sequel if you must. It will probably have the new title screen, minus the "Return To" part.

Oh yeah, and it will be made in GAEM MAEKER!!11one

DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Paramultart wrote:This whole project was a troll. There is no Shmaynoria 2. Never was, and never will be.
:( :( :( >: :( :(
Cereal Board!