How did you find Keen?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

'To solve world hunger: Make everyone a sandwich. Then eat them.'
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Levellass wrote:'To solve world hunger: Make everyone a sandwich. Then eat them.'
it's as easy as that!
also think about false awakenings, in which one dreams that one has awoken from sleep that featured dreams (Waking Life). so oneiric
King_Gargs_Revenge
Grunt

Post by King_Gargs_Revenge »

Some of my earliest memories are of watching my dad playing Keen 1, and also playing it myself as a kid. Those experiences helped ignite a lifelong interest in games for me, for better or worse.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

King_Gargs_Revenge wrote:Some of my earliest memories are of watching my dad playing Keen 1,
Hey King_Gargs_Revenge cool username!!! My dad had a disk of Keen1 in 1991ish but although I recall watching him playing a lovely old EGA Mah Jongg on the PC, I don't think he ever played Keen1. I can imagine it must have been fun watching him play. My sister used to have a similar amount of fun watching me play, we would usually have ABBA Gold or Cream's 'Disraeli Gears' on in the background and she would watch me play. Once she flung 'Mammybear' at the keyboard resulting in our discovery of GOD and CT-SPACEBAR. It was a long time before we knew the keys so the bear was the means of choice to activate those cheats :crazy
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

When I was two or three years old my dad had a shareware copy of Keen 4 that he loaded on his computer and let me play. That was my first experience with Keen, and also my last for quite a while until I got interested in computers and managed to install Keen from that floppy onto another on a laptop that had no hard drive! Ah, the memories... :p
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

When I was really young, three I think, we had this dinosaur Acer desktop that was even old at the time, running Windows 95 and with a slew of old games installed on it. It had Tyrian, Jazz Jackrabbit, Hover, and Episodes 1, 4, 5, 6, and Dreams. My sister is much older than I am, so she was probably the reason we had them at the time, but she showed me how to play and I fell in love with the games, it was the first series I was ever really in to. I remember spending a substantial part of my childhood trying to convince my parents to buy episodes 2 and 3 but it never did happen. I was separated from the games for a while because the Acer died and its floppy drive was broken, so we were never able to copy the game files and didn't have the originals anymore. I rediscovered the games around 2009 and joined up with the community here in 2010, and have been enjoying the games again for all the years since. :D
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
Captain Critical
Grunt

Post by Captain Critical »

I was going through a bunch of old games on some computers in my basement. I was having lots of fun playing games on there. I found Commander Keen and was instantly hooked. I played that non-stop and lost all social life. :p
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

KEEN is life. Keen is love.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
gokaiblue
Grunt

Post by gokaiblue »

I'm not really sure how I got into Commander Keen, but I do know it was this year. Perhaps it was due to my recent fascination with MS-DOS games that I was drawn to this platformer. Whatever it was, as soon as I played Keen 1, I was pulled in hook, line, and sinker. My goal now is to maybe write a fanfic for the series or perhaps even get my hands on an elusive physical copy of the game.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

It's extremely rare that someone who has never played Commander Keen gets hooked by decades old game in this modern (compared to the early 90s) age.
gokaiblue
Grunt

Post by gokaiblue »

^
Not sure if you were referring to me, but I'll respond anyways. I'm a retro kind of guy. I collect vinyl records, old video games, sometimes the odd VHS, and old consoles. It's a cool hobby but also a curse (especially when trying to relate to your peers or trying to keep your finances in check).
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Ah we can Keen if we want to, we can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't Keen and if they don't Keen
Well they're are no friends of mine
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
IceDuck347
Vortininja

Post by IceDuck347 »

my dad discovered keen in a very old computer (i think it was 4-86 processor or something), and then he brought a hard disk, in wich he discovered commander keen 4, so, in the future, my dad let me playing keen 4, and then we searched about 1,2 and 3 episodes, later we discovered episode 4,5 (keen dreams), and ep. 5 and 6. when i was 8 years old, i discovered the commander keen fans world, and then i discovered episodes 7,8 and 9. also i learned keen's nemesis is mortimer mcmire, until then i created another keen's nemesis (his neighbor) named junto ,but there's another story about me and commander keen, if you want, i'm gonna tell it in th other keen stuff forum. :) :) :) :) :) :)
Signed. IceDuck347 Have a nice day!
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Keening_Product wrote:Ah we can Keen if we want to, we can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't Keen and if they don't Keen
Well they're are no friends of mine
But of course! Keen takes his safety very seriously!
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
XrackProject
Vortininja

Re: How did you find Keen?

Post by XrackProject »

I got Keen 4 on a floppy disk from someone as a kid. I think I was around 6 years old. I still have this disk here somewhere. This is how I got in touch with Keen in the past. But unfortunately, I lost any intrest in my computer for a very long time, so I kinda forgot about Keen. When I started with Let's Plays I started to look for Keen but I even forgot the name of the game. I just knew "commander....something...." but I finally found some videos on Youtube and could enjoy the game back again, even more then in my past. :) Thats the story between me and Keen.
A project for lifetime.