How did you find Keen?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Re:

Post by DaVince »

DSL wrote:
IMA3HDDMNKY wrote:?
viewtopic.php?t=[b]666[/b]

Satan lives.
viewtopic.php?p=[b]11645[/b]

Why is the number so different for me? Because I clicked the "new posts" button? :confused
Wow look at me I'm lurking
DSL
Miragia made me disappear

Re:

Post by DSL »

DaVince wrote:
DSL wrote:
IMA3HDDMNKY wrote:?
viewtopic.php?t=[b]666[/b]

Satan lives.
viewtopic.php?p=[b]11645[/b]

Why is the number so different for me? Because I clicked the "new posts" button? :confused
Probably because p= posts and t= threads.

I think a post can point directly to a thread by itself because it knows wich thread it belongs to.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Ah, of course. Didn't even notice the p/t difference.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
BrainRain
Vortininja

Post by BrainRain »

Well, well
I was about about 8 or 9 years old when i found out that Commander Keen it's a realy good game.
In 1999 or 2000 there was a Pioneer House formely known as Students Club (House) made by a man called Ban Adalbert. The Club was opened every day exept Saturday and Sunday. There were a lot of PCs there, every one of them Custom builded. I still remember those Monocrome monitors and old PCs.
We used to play Doom 1 and 2 with my friend on IPX back then but on every PC there it was installed Commander Keen 1 to 6 and Keen Dreams to. I realy enjoyed to play them in the Club. I learned there how to use MS-DOS and how to use Norton Commander which is a Frontend for dos.
I still remember explaining Ban Adalbert how to use it.
He said: If you like to play the game you must enter into the directory, remember the name of the directory and find the EXE, COM, or BAT file that is simmilar or the exact same of that directorys name.
Aww man so much memories.
A year ago I found out that a Guy named Ceilick AKA The Dude made a sequel The Keys of Krodacia, i was so exiced about it, it was a realy cool game. And today playing The Dead in the Desert I feel like i'm reliving my childhood again.
I'm very happy because I found this great community keeping Commander Keen alive for the Next Generation and for us
Thanks for everybody, and have a nice day. :)

BrainRain
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

Sure is a good game!
Ooh, monochrome monitors? Green or amber?
There are a lot of other mods to play that you might want to investigate. Most are for Keen 1, 2 or 3 because they're easier to work with.
I'll try my best at the nice day thing. ;)
GoldenRishi
Vortininja

Post by GoldenRishi »

Damn, it's been a while guys.

I first got hooked on Keen in April of 2000. I was an avid Rayman fan, and my cousin told me that older games were better. Turns out, Rayman is still my favorite game series, but Keen is high up there.

Keen introduced me to Duke Nukem, Crystal Caves (one of my all time favorites), Bio Menace (Another), Cosmo, and a lot of others.

Needless to say, I've been a long time fan (almost 10 years now) of video games. I've been on PCKF for almost 7 years, I think. I joined the end of 2002. lol, that would have only been 2 and half years after I started playing Keen!
(Used to be LordofGlobox)
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

How I found Keen

Post by thehackercat »

My grandfather had an old DOS computer at his house, which I would mess around on when I visited him. I played Keen like a maniac. I doodled him all over my papers in K-3 Elementary School.. Even at recess, when I would go to a part of the playground and make up messages like you got when you walked into a level... ("Keen lurches into the Swingset")

All he had was Keen 1 and Keen 4. He also had Arctic Adventure, the whole Pharoah's Tomb series, Secret Agent, the list goes on and on.

He never got a Soundblaster, and it was only this summer that I bought the rest of the trilogies and heard the music. :(

I've still yet to buy the full versions of Keen Dreams and Aliens ate my Babysitter.

The cool thing about Keen is.. When I was little and used to play "spaceman" in the backyard.. Keen is like just what I imagined!
Last edited by thehackercat on Tue Jan 28, 2020 0:10, edited 1 time in total.
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Re: How I found Keen

Post by Deltamatic »

thehackercat wrote:Even at recess, I would go to a part of the playground and make up messages like you got when you walked into a level... ("Keen lurches into the Swingset")
Now there's fan dedication. :P
thehackercat wrote:Tom Hall really captured the spirit of childhood.
Keen will never die.
peace.
Quoted because it deserves to appear twice.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I've still yet to buy the full versions of Keen Dreams and Aliens ate my Babysitter.
Good luck there, afaik you can't buy them anywhere, except you're lucky and get a used one. But you don't get any advantages in full Keen Dreams, shareware is the same. And you could just download Keen6 full anywhere, since nobody seems to care.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
IMA3HDDMNKY
Vortininja

Re:

Post by IMA3HDDMNKY »

^ AFAIK, Softdisk still sells Keen Dreams registered as a download-only product for about 10 bucks.

Aliens seems to be abandoned by both id and whoever owns the publishing rights now. Good luck finding a (legal) copy of that.
HoboRed
Vortininja

Post by HoboRed »

:garg you :garg Fleexy

actually just kidding except for the Fleexy, actually J**** did too thank you both!

:p :p :p :p :dead2 to doom
RIP Eduard Khil
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

Just when I thought HoboRed was certainly and most definitely done with posting nonsense.
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

Since this is the case do you think we could get someone here to scan and upload the manual for Keen 6?

That would just be pretty cool.
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

I went and found the manuals on replacementdocs.com:

I'm merely re-hosting them.

Keen: Aliens Ate My Babysitter Manual

Keen: Goodbye Galaxy Manual

Keen: Vorticons Hint Sheet
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

Neat stuff there, _mr_m_. I never even knew that Bobbas existed, because I haven't played Keen 6 on hard.