Strange landing on some hazards in God Mode

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
SupFanat
Vortininja

Strange landing on some hazards in God Mode

Post by SupFanat »

If you experiment the God Mode you might find a strange behavior of Keen if he lands on Fire, Acid Pool in Commander Keen 4 or on Spikes, Drill, Acid Spill in Commander Keen 6. Keen looks like he's still falling and can't jump. Why? Does this give any benefits for the game?
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Off the top of my head, the only benefit God Mode offers is testing levels.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

This is a result of these tiles having a top property that kills (top, and can't land on in god mode). This top property for whatever reason does not allow the player to fall through on god mode. Other tiles that kill Keen but allow him to fall through just have the "special" property of "deadly."

This really doesn't affect anything, but it's still interesting. I do wonder if this could be modified to create some kind of slippery or ice-like surface in Keen Galaxy.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
SupFanat
Vortininja

Post by SupFanat »

Gridlock wrote:This is a result of these tiles having a top property that kills (top, and can't land on in god mode). This top property for whatever reason does not allow the player to fall through on god mode. Other tiles that kill Keen but allow him to fall through just have the "special" property of "deadly."

This really doesn't affect anything, but it's still interesting. I do wonder if this could be modified to create some kind of slippery or ice-like surface in Keen Galaxy.
Thank you for your idea of "ice-like surface".
I tried sometime to make platform which drops Keen in the fire if he doesn't jump to the next platform quickly enough but it wasn't possible because of this special tile property. It's possible with normal deadly tiles though.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

It is possible to modify the moon tile property to make it slippery though it's not quite the same as Keen Vorticons.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

A vision of Keen smoothly sliding across the screen while mooning the player just came to mind.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass