Time for a Wham Line: KEEN DREAMS SOURCE CODE RELEASED

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
CapnClever
Vortininja

Post by CapnClever »

MoffD wrote:Anyone have a copy of Borland C++ lying around? I lost mine in a reinstall...
http://www.wolfenstein3d.co.uk/utilities.htm

This website hosts a copy of Borland (Turbo) C++ 3.1, which should work just fine (I've compiled wolf3d with it, which is the purpose of its hosting). IIRC it also comes with TASM to compile the assembler code properly, but if not, you can pick that up here.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

CapnClever wrote:
MoffD wrote:Anyone have a copy of Borland C++ lying around? I lost mine in a reinstall...
http://www.wolfenstein3d.co.uk/utilities.htm
Thanks CapnClever! letsa' see how this goes
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

And, should we port it to Commander Genius or is there another source port? I might do it and know to get it including the good stuff unless someone else is willing todo it...
Having fun developing stuff...
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

gerstrong wrote:And, should we port it to Commander Genius or is there another source port? I might do it and know to get it including the good stuff unless someone else is willing todo it...
sulix/multimania/David Gow is working on one. Jump on the pckf IRC.

Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

So does it explain that blasted title screen compression? 'cause that's been bugging the heck out of me for years.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
dopefishing
Vortininja

Post by dopefishing »

wiivn wrote:
I don't know about you, but I'm more suspicious than happy. Even if he really bought the rights, I have not faith in this guy, who:

1. made overambitious statements without showing something that actually works. Why he didn't actually made something that works and then run a Greenlight campaign? WTF?
2. have suspicious past;
3. have not shown anything else he was working in the past;
4. post unrelated screenshot from Keen 4 and some random poor quality screenshots from google;
5. who obviously don't put much effort into this by just copy/paste from wikipedia.
Points noted, and Im working on fixing them. This is the first major work im doing, that's why I don't have much to show yet.
Lunick
Vortininja

Post by Lunick »

Well I did give you some much nicer screenshots to use on the Greenlight page :crazy
Lunick is Here
dopefishing
Vortininja

Post by dopefishing »

Lunick wrote:Well I did give you some much nicer screenshots to use on the Greenlight page :crazy
Yeah I know, ill be adding them soon.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Wait... If we have the source code for a Keen game, why hasn't anyone released any cool mods taking advantage of it yet?
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
T-Squared
Vortininja

Post by T-Squared »

Paramultart wrote:Wait... If we have the source code for a Keen game, why hasn't anyone released any cool mods taking advantage of it yet?
Because it's a conspiracy by Zenimax!

They want the 90s to stay in the 90sjhfuo;fdaafd

helplk[ogsfjmnk call fbi and g sfgagaf coast guard 0 8 5fb biyh8 and lawyer and men in blackteyhudahfadihfjd and dominos pizzagaasddfasf542rrwfhirwl

*CONNECTION TERMINATED*
Cosmo II: HUMANIZED!!! Progress:
Graphics: 15% Complete
Story: 100% Complete
Music: 5% Complete
Programming Modifications: 5% Complete (FINALLY! SOME PROGRESS!)

http://www.tsqproductions.com
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

Paramultart wrote:Wait... If we have the source code for a Keen game, why hasn't anyone released any cool mods taking advantage of it yet?
It's Keen Dreams... has anyone ever modded KD?
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

RoboBlue wrote:
It's Keen Dreams... has anyone ever modded KD?
Yes.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Actually I'm using this to improve Keen 5 mods, but there is a Dreams mod in the works that may be tweaked, if I can understand c++. I ask again, does anyone have that weird titlescreen format reverse engineered?
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

I guess it just takes time before a mod is out in general. As for mini-mods or small demonstration mods, maybe a few individuals are waiting to see what is going to happen regarding the availability of source ports, rather than attempting to study how to build original source code(s) with Borland C/C++ under a DOS (or compatible) environment.

And then, someone may already take advantage of the release, possibly even for some earlier work, just not making any announcement for now.
Levellass wrote:I ask again, does anyone have that weird titlescreen format reverse engineered?
Can't say I remember the details of the format, but it's true there's a bunch of additional code responsible for the decompression that appears to be Softdisk-exclusive. You can look for these files from the source code for details at the least (although lzw.h and possibly a few more may be unused): gelib.*, jam_io.*, lzhuf.c, lzhuf.h, lzw.h, sl_file.h, soft.c, soft.h.

The "lscr" subdirectory has code displaying the text screen shown on exit, and there are clear similarities.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Yeah, the text files are compressed in the same way the titlescreen graphic is and I have a program that decompresses both. (And IDs original sound\music editing program.) but that's not very helpful.