Time for a Wham Line: KEEN DREAMS SOURCE CODE RELEASED

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I have no idea what any of that means. This problem is vexing; in its worst incarnation is forbids a level be loaded if ONE SPECIFIC TILE it doesn't like is in it. This is unacceptable.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
dopefishing
Vortininja

Post by dopefishing »

Lunick wrote:Yet he can't address customer problems: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/file ... 901765592/
I took longer than expected,:o but the customer problem was addressed. And even improved with the native builds. Please read the updates posted since. :p
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Lass, there might be illegal tile properties - especially animation offsets - on those bad tiles. You may be able to identify the problem tile and the issue with Abiathar's Tile Property Modifier inspection mode (hit I).
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Checked and nope!

As noted, in the worst case scenario a single 'bad' background tile will crash the game if present in the level to which Keen goes to after the map. Said tile has no animation properties at all. This really does seem to be a bad memory-cache thing.
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

ONE DAY LATE EDIT (Dec 31): I should clarify here that, as you probably know by now, it is unclear if we see any of the sources for Keen 1-5 released. Furthermore, most misspellings in the comic (if not all) were made on purpose, kind-of in the spirit of the original Strife comics. Oh yeah, and another minor edit has been done to this post at the very bottom.

I guess it's ok to refer to a new kind-of comic called "Keen's Vacation" here.

While more than three months have passed since the release of the Keen Dreams source codes, this may still be considered a reason for another so-called "Unofficial Strife" comic. More details are in this post, but first I'll link to the comic itself:

http://ny.duke4.net/strife/unofficialst ... ation.html

Basically, there was a website once hosted by a guy known as Peter Bridger, aka Maverick. This place was named "This Strife", later renamed "That Strife" and then basically replaced with "Strife Strips". All of these had comics known as "Strifes", usually constructed with the Build editor for Duke Nukem 3D, occurring in Nukem's realm. Duke Nukem and the Doom Marine were commonly featured. Walter Bennet, who comes from Half-Life expansion packs, was also featured in many of these comics. These sites did have more contents, but let's concentrate just at the Strifes for now.

Most of the action seemed to occur during the first half of the 2000s. Much later I uploaded a Strife-related section to my site hosted by duke4.net above, eventually adding a few unofficial Strife comics of mine (well, actually one two-parts comic). Now the Keen-related comic above has been added.

It is the case, in fact, that "Keen's Vacation" was originally completed just a few days after Keith Kaisershot (aka ablitter) successfully extracted these Commander Keen 4-6 sources from that Syquest disk retrieved from Tom Hall, which at least some of you probably know about. While original sources for 1-3 were further found by John Romero, and all sources were sent to id, given the time passed so far it's currently unclear if we'll see any of the 1-5 sources released (6 is stripped for a different reason, being the probable lack of publishing rights).

While I could've kept the comic to myself for longer, I've thought it should still be good to not let it go to waste. There have been only a couple of edits to the comic and the page in which it appears:
- The text on the top of the first image (on the top left) is edited. Originally it was 2-lines long and said (what hasn't happened so far, even just with 4-5): "Following the release of the Commander Keen 4-6 source code, we meet our fellas in SWEENEY.MAP"
- A half-life.wikia.com link has been updated at the bottom (screenshots showing Walter Bennet).
- The date text above the comic itself was originally "???? ??th, 2013".
Last edited by NY00123 on Wed Dec 31, 2014 22:14, edited 2 times in total.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Aaah I remember Strife! Yay King Sluggy!