indiegogo campaign to get Keen Dreams released legally!

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Flat Rock's website has no contact details. Could you please PM us all with his email address?

Also how did you contact him and pitch this in the first place?
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
dopefishing
Vortininja

Post by dopefishing »

I just emailed him and asked if he would be interested in selling his back catalog of softdisk games and he sent me a list of them and the asking cost. His address is well known, it's <snip>.

edit by Flaose: While it may be well known, it still shouldn't be posted for all to see here
Lunick
Vortininja

Post by Lunick »

His claims at the moment are legit and he has been in contact with Richard from Flat Rock who does own all the rights to the games. He is also talking with Blzut and if it does get transferred, then we will all have to push the campaign.

Most of the games in the Flat Rock catalogue are $1500 a pop.
Last edited by Lunick on Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:08, edited 1 time in total.
Lunick is Here
dopefishing
Vortininja

Post by dopefishing »

cant believe i'd say this, but ty, Lunick. I'm working with Blzut to see about transferring the campaign to him, I'm working out the details on the account information. It has my personal info after all.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

I got an email back from Mandel and yeah, sale is legit. I hope you understand why I'm checking all this though - I don't want the lovely people on this forum being scammed.

Interesting comment in the email was that the sale will be "the rights, including ownership of the IP." I've asked for clarification on the extent of the IP (whether it's just the stuff unique to KD or something broader than that), but my previous doubting of the IP suggestion might've been a bit premature.

dopefishing
Vortininja

Post by dopefishing »

I understand. I know it's hard to believe coming from me, but the claims in the campaign despite my other software endeavors, were always true. And the campaign was always legit. It was my going legit campaign, not a cheap scam. I would like to continue running the campaign, but i doubt you people believe me.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

All I'm asking for is assurances and proof of what can be done. Although your history increases the proof I'd like to see from you, it doesn't mean I don't think you might do a great job of everything you outlined.

EDIT: I've just got clarification from Mandel on the IP: "Just for Keen Dreams."

I guess that's an agreement that allows for distribution and creation of packaging and promotional material then.

dopefishing
Vortininja

Post by dopefishing »

Does that mean i can continue running the campaign? it would be a great honor. :begging
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

A few things here:
dopefishing wrote:Does that mean i can continue running the campaign? it would be a great honor. :begging
While personally I think it would be okay for you to stay on as team lead now that your claims have been shown to be legitimate, I think it's important to add Blzut to the team due to his past history working with Flat Rock. I also think it would be a good idea to add a trusted member of the Keen community to the team. Thus we have you as team lead, a known associate of Flat Rock, and a liaison to the Keen community.

Now, you might be understandably concerned about splitting your (probably) slim profits among so many people, but I know that I (and probably most Keeners here) wouldn't be interested in taking a cut, just in helping bring the trust back to the campaign and in helping it to go as smoothly as possible.
dopefishing wrote:I just emailed him and asked if he would be interested in selling his back catalog of softdisk games and he sent me a list of them and the asking cost.
Would you (or anyone else that has a copy) mind PMing me that list? I'm interested in what the other asking prices are.
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
dopefishing
Vortininja

Post by dopefishing »

That sounds like a great idea! I can add Blzut and any member of the Keen community here to the team. Blzut's technical expertise could come in handy when fulfilling some of the campaign goals like steamworks integration. That is, if everyone here is ok with that.

The list of games is long, I'll pm you the list. His asking price is the same for all $1500 for each game, except when in packs. Catacombs pack and Dangerous Dave pack is 10 grand.
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

If this really is all legit...

Can we have all of the files released into the public domain?
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

I'm afraid it's still better that you won't take a part in the campaign at all dopefishing, for the simple reason users have lost the trust. Maybe after a few years of doing no harm you can gain some trust again.

Besides, I'm also having possibly relevant comments to add:
1. I think the illegal port of Strife to the Mac is still available from the Mac App Store? (And possibly more apps?)
2. Interestingly the campaign was also promoted in the these ROTT forums: http://rott.s4.bizhat.com/rott-ftopic426.html; Furthermore, there was also a topic for that started on VOGONS by a forum user with a signature leading to the same ROTT forums (the topic has been removed/archived since then). Obviously it's not necessarily related, although it shows something.
3. Now, is it just me or the ROTT forums admin is trying to sell copies of a mod of Hovertank 3D? http://rott.s4.bizhat.com/rott-ftopic427.html; Even if it's done to "support the boards", the past history (far and recent) doesn't bode well.
Lunick
Vortininja

Post by Lunick »

I think adding any extra members to the campaign that would include dopefishing would hurt the extra people via association, especially since the campaign has been pretty much wrecked anyway because of his reputation.

There's also the fact that the campaign won't get all the money because of IndieGoGo's cut and the cut is actually deeper if the campaign doesn't reach its goal.
Lunick is Here
dopefishing
Vortininja

Post by dopefishing »

Points taken. I would like to know the opinion of the Keen community here.

BTW, all illegal releases of Strife have been removed. It could be that the removal order is delayed on every server in every market, but I took them all down.
dopefishing
Vortininja

Post by dopefishing »

Lunick wrote: There's also the fact that the campaign won't get all the money because of IndieGoGo's cut and the cut is actually deeper if the campaign doesn't reach its goal.
I said in the campaign description that i was going to cover the difference in costs should the campaign not reach its goal, and i stand by that.