source code found?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Lunick
Vortininja

Post by Lunick »

r.i.p. source codes
Lunick is Here
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I guess K1n9_Duk3 is right.

An unauthorized copy of the source wouldn't be very useful if we couldn't release the modified executables.

I just wish they found the source code earlier when there was a good chance of it being released. (When ID Software was controlled by a group of very awesome nerds.)

Now that the big bloated Zenimax owns ID, and Carmack isn't even involved anymore, there's no chance of those rich bigwigs ever continuing the ID tradition of releasing free source code.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

if we couldn't release the modified executables
My understanding of all this is quite limited, but would it be fair to say that knowing the source code could lead to more sophisticated patches - rather than necessarily having to modify the exe, so that in actual fact legality would be no more an obstacle than it's ever been with modding?!? If the modifications of the code are particularly big, then perhaps a more advanced ckpatch, and more generous memory settings e.g. in Dosbox, could facilitate them.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

As Lemm will tell you, altering the source is far easier than patching. Patches are in machine code which needs to be translated.

I'm not sure if they'd care about modified executables, not as long as nobody was making any money. That's the golden rule of business. Of course it would be a trivial matter to convert a modified executable into a series of patches and thus get around things that way.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Levellass wrote:As Lemm will tell you, altering the source is far easier than patching. Patches are in machine code which needs to be translated.
I was about to say. Also, source code from disassembled code is based on the optimized code and stripped of any useful information like function and variable names, comments, et cetera. This stuff is just easier if you have the original, unaltered source.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I've never had any problems poking around a game's source code, but the disassemblies I've seen are a nightmare for your average programmer or modding hobbyist.

If I didn't know any better, I'd think Lemm and Lass were behind suppressing the source releases to assume dominance over the modding community.

Hmm.... :disguised
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Actually we're engaged in a war. Lemm wants to force everyone to use The One True Source while I want to stick to the True Path of machine code. Whoever wins, you lose.

(Though the differences between us are remarkable. Lemm's patches are littered with comments. I mean *littered*; #push Seriously? You need to keep track of that? You need to annotate *everything*? And you say machine code is confusing? I don't know, maybe this is why women never get into programming.
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

DaVince wrote:Also, source code from disassembled code is based on the optimized code and stripped of any useful information like function and variable names, comments, et cetera. This stuff is just easier if you have the original, unaltered source.
K1n9_Duk3 wrote:I am not saying that it would be an easy task, but it is definitely possible.
When I say "disassembling" I mean running a disassembler on the original EXE and then assigning names for all the functions and variables. That is what I would call a "complete" disassembly.

Doing such a complete disassembly requires some knowledge about the hardware handling. In case of Keen 4-6 and Dreams, all of this is in the ID_* engine files, which were released as part of the Catacomb 3-D and Keen Dreams sources (in slightly modified versions, probably), so you have some reference to work with. The rest are the game-specific routines such as actor movement and AI routines, which should be known considering the fact that there are patches to change that behavior.

Once you have a "complete" disassembly, you can start porting the code back to C and you'll end up with something very similar to the original code -- if you did it right. A talented person could do all of this in a matter of months.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
T-Squared
Vortininja

Post by T-Squared »

Levellass wrote:Actually we're engaged in a war. Lemm wants to force everyone to use The One True Source while I want to stick to the True Path of machine code. Whoever wins, you lose.

(Though the differences between us are remarkable. Lemm's patches are littered with comments. I mean *littered*; #push Seriously? You need to keep track of that? You need to annotate *everything*? And you say machine code is confusing? I don't know, maybe this is why women never get into programming.

I don't want to force the issue, but it seems that everything has gone to sith. I'm not taking this lightly, though. I think we're all just wandering, jetting and eyeing each other around in a dark room.
Cosmo II: HUMANIZED!!! Progress:
Graphics: 15% Complete
Story: 100% Complete
Music: 5% Complete
Programming Modifications: 5% Complete (FINALLY! SOME PROGRESS!)

http://www.tsqproductions.com
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

K1n9_Duk3 wrote:Doing such a complete disassembly requires some knowledge about the hardware handling. In case of Keen 4-6 and Dreams, all of this is in the ID_* engine files, which were released as part of the Catacomb 3-D and Keen Dreams sources (in slightly modified versions, probably), so you have some reference to work with. The rest are the game-specific routines such as actor movement and AI routines, which should be known considering the fact that there are patches to change that behavior.

Once you have a "complete" disassembly, you can start porting the code back to C and you'll end up with something very similar to the original code -- if you did it right. A talented person could do all of this in a matter of months.
This is all very much true. I'm as green as a new spring bud, but looking through the stuff we have I can't see any reason why we couldn't make our own source code (With blackjack! And hookers!)