source code found?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
T-Squared
Vortininja

Post by T-Squared »

I still blame Joe Siegler. Darn Cosmo beta.
Cosmo II: HUMANIZED!!! Progress:
Graphics: 15% Complete
Story: 100% Complete
Music: 5% Complete
Programming Modifications: 5% Complete (FINALLY! SOME PROGRESS!)

http://www.tsqproductions.com
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

dreams isn't enough
AST
Grunt

Post by AST »

do we have an update on the status of the release of the source code?
mortimer
Blistering Barnacles

Post by mortimer »

:garg :garg :garg :garg :garg
Last edited by mortimer on Sun Jul 12, 2020 20:45, edited 1 time in total.
Billions of blue blistering barnacles in a thousand thundering typhoons!
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

:redeyes

Your time zone is bad and you should feel bad.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

You know what I love? Having an addon that takes Rick-related videos and returns a random offering from youtube.Today I've seen the world's smallest bunny, orange peppers and Dutch Geronimo Stilton.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
BlueGasMask
Vorticon Elite

Post by BlueGasMask »

Levellass wrote:You know what I love? Having an addon that takes Rick-related videos and returns a random offering from youtube.Today I've seen the world's smallest bunny, orange peppers and Dutch Geronimo Stilton.
This is my favourite anti roll yet.

Back on topic, any update? :begging
Lunick
Vortininja

Post by Lunick »

I was excited the topic was bumped...
Lunick is Here
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

I can understand the sentiments. Afraid there's no info on when/if a public release is made, as stated in the following tweet by Rubits (same thing was also mentioned on IRC near the end of 2014): https://twitter.com/mikerubits/status/6 ... 3994177536

There's further this message from Romero, but I think there's isn't a lot to add again: https://twitter.com/romero/status/576250098780274689
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

#PCKF IRC on foonetic wrote:[Wed, 17 Jun 2015] [10:25:11 AM] <Naming_Product> Hi sponge, you've porbably become sick of this question by now, but what's the status of the source code?
[Wed, 17 Jun 2015] [10:25:21 AM] Nick You are now known as Keening_Product.
[Wed, 17 Jun 2015] [10:25:29 AM] <sponge> Naming_Product: unknown, it may just never be released i'm afraid
[Wed, 17 Jun 2015] [10:26:09 AM] <Keening_Product> That's a real shame, but thanks for answering. There seemed to be momentum for a while - do you know why everything stalled?
[Wed, 17 Jun 2015] [10:28:03 AM] <sponge> there's just some internal concern that i prob can't go into
[Wed, 17 Jun 2015] [10:34:10 AM] <Keening_Product> Fair enough. I hope that means they're considering a reboot a real possibility and not just an option haha
[Wed, 17 Jun 2015] [10:34:52 AM] <sponge> no i'm pretty much the only person internally that cares about keen heh
[Wed, 17 Jun 2015] [10:35:39 AM] <Keening_Product> Awh :(
[Wed, 17 Jun 2015] [10:36:05 AM] <Hypnotoad> leak the sauce anyway
[Wed, 17 Jun 2015] [10:36:27 AM] <sponge> at least i can rest assured that i got to see and play the original smb demo that got sent to nintendo
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

If anyone reading this happens to be in Dallas, would you mind traveling to the convention centre Hilton Anatole and badgering the QuakeCon guys about the Keen Source?
Lunick
Vortininja

Post by Lunick »

lemm wrote:If anyone reading this happens to be in Dallas, would you mind traveling to the convention centre Hilton Anatole and badgering the QuakeCon guys about the Keen Source?
We probably should have organised this before Quakecon...
Lunick is Here
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

ARGH!!! Why can't they just leak it privately? I know that everyone in the Keen in-circle would never blab and ruin a good thing.

This is why big companies shouldn't own copyrights.

They ruin content for fans.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

I think it's safe to say that nobody here knows what is going on at id Software and/or Zenimax. Or if they do, they probably had to sign an NDA. Maybe they (id and Zenimax) are acually planning to release something to celebrate Keen's 25th anniversary?

And why are some people here so obsessed about the source code and try pushing id employees into doing illegal things that could get them fired?

If you want an illegal version of the source, just get a disassembler, a list of assembly instuctions and their effects, and disassemble the executables. With the Catacomb 3-D and Keen Dreams source already GPL'ed, you wouldn't even need to disassemble most of the low-level sound and graphics routines. From what I understand, the people creating patches for Keen already know most of the layout of the original code and I know that at least one (unfinished) Keen 4 disassembly exists (because, years ago, one of the people involved sent me a copy and I still have it around somewhere). I am not saying that it would be an easy task, but it is definitely possible. And you might get useful results before id decides to actually release the source.

That would also mean you would be able to reconstruct the Keen 6 source even if id cannot release the source due to legal issues.

Well, enough of that. Let's start waiting for christmas. :christmas
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net