What is the hardest secret you've found in Commander Keen?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Flyingmouse
Vortininja

Post by Flyingmouse »

Hmm... probably the impossible bullet in Keen 6. It took me forever to figure out.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Flyingmouse wrote:It took me forever to figure out.
Do you mean you had heard of it but didn't know how it was done??

Or did you just try every possibly activity in the game scouring for secrets :P

--------------------------------------------------
On an unrelated note but seeing as we are giving Keening anecdotage... the first time I googled Keen, actually it was probably alltheweb or altavista, I found all the galaxy cheats and wrote them down with a big headling (DO NOT DISCARD) for my mother's benefit, then went home and tried them out.... on Keen1. :o
Boreas249
Vortininja

Post by Boreas249 »

Impossible Bullet trick was funny. Knew nothing about it at first, then I did it and was like "WHOOOOAAA DID I REALLY JUST RIDE MY BULLET LIKE THAT?!"
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

T-Squared wrote:
Levellass wrote:Actually, I just worked out a patch for Keen 1 that lets you do that.

What I liked was what the satellite WAS. I wish I could find the interview that both confirmed and debunked my theories.
Oh? There was a reason for the satellite? O_O
It was the American Sputnik (Even has a similar design) that apparently got knocked out of orbit by visiting aliens or something.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Flyingmouse
Vortininja

Post by Flyingmouse »

I'd heard of it, yeah, but it took me like 30-40 tries to get it to work even once due to my rather lackluster Keen skills :dopekeen
morris_fudley
Grunt

Post by morris_fudley »

All right, I have never started such a popular thread on any forum. Keep up the good work!
Replies:
Bubbatom wrote:My most difficult secrets that I found were probably all in Keen 4 as that was the only keen game I played before "discovering" the internet, which allowed me to find out where everything was in later keen games.
I had keen1 and keen4 about the time they came out, then keen dreams in 1995, then in 2005, my dad got me the rest of them.
T-Squared wrote:It wasn't in Commander Keen, but I found the hamburger hidden in the satellite in episode 1 of Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure when I was around 5 years old.
I remember that one in Cosmo1 level 5. I got cosmo around the same time as keen dreams, so I beat you by one year; I was 4.
Flyingmouse wrote:Hmm... probably the impossible bullet in Keen 6. It took me forever to figure out.
What is this secret? I must try it! I thought it was a bullet icon, but later posts make me think it's like the pogo trick.
Morris Fudley has worn out this shower!

Saaaay, fool! Back out of here just a shade? You gettin' close enough to dance with and lord only knows I did enough dancin' last night!
T-Squared
Vortininja

Post by T-Squared »

morris_fudley wrote:
T-Squared wrote:It wasn't in Commander Keen, but I found the hamburger hidden in the satellite in episode 1 of Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure when I was around 5 years old.
I remember that one in Cosmo1 level 5. I got cosmo around the same time as keen dreams, so I beat you by one year; I was 4.
ERRT. WRONG. I had Cosmo when I was 4! I actually remember getting it at Computer City! My parents bought Cosmo for me, and Wolfenstein 3D for my cousin (who was 11 or 12 at the time.), but I never got to that level until I was 5! :D
Cosmo II: HUMANIZED!!! Progress:
Graphics: 15% Complete
Story: 100% Complete
Music: 5% Complete
Programming Modifications: 5% Complete (FINALLY! SOME PROGRESS!)

http://www.tsqproductions.com
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

I think by far the hardest secret I ever found in keen was that weird reverse-coloured keen sprite that kept saying strange things to the player in keen5.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Oh man, that one was nearly impossible to get. I still can't reliably do the bit with the Ampton and the pole. But it's awesome to get.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

well you have to jump on the ampton while shooting upward at the exact moment to 'ride' it up the pole on level 1. it pushes keen upward out of the level and then you have to deal with that memory dump that corrupts the screen, then those messages lol. seems like more memory garbage but it is metaphor. you have to have knowledge of the psalms though (probly cause tom hall was a jesuit) (to seek my father I seek the disciples of the temple of hermes)
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

I have no idea about this Keen5 secret, nor have I any idea how it's done... video?????????????
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Video or it didn't happen! :p
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

ok, ill *try* and get to the secret again. ive only ever properly pulled it off once. stand by...
JackDaniels
Vortininja

Post by JackDaniels »

I played CK so much in my early years - there were barely any secrets I did not discover without cheats. In fact, in CK 4 and 5, there were only two I had never been able to find myself.

-Pyramid of the moon -> How to get on top of the pyramid, etc. I just did not know the trick where you had to jump and then climb.
-The passage to the secret level in CK5. I knew ithe passage was in that level and I searched countless hours, but was never able to find it.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

actually, just the other day I was going through the keen wiki and looking at the keen6 levels and found out that theres a big secret in level 4 (i think its 4. its the 'second dome of darkness'). theres a secret platform imbedded in the wall on the right that takes you up to a ton of lazer barriers. i always wondered what that space in the wall was about :/