When did you first play Keen?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Sometime between 2001 and 2003 I believe.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

My first time playing to my memory was back in 1995-6, at the age of 4 or 5. My life was never the same after that.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

goldenRishi wrote:I think everyone has nostalgia surrounding their childhood.
Yes of course they certainly do. However I was talking about something different, though I wasn't very clear about it. I was born in 1990, so things like EGA id software games and Grunge music were before my time, yet their value is so great that they shaped my life and childhood, above and beyond the mainstream culture of the times in which I was enjoying them.

It is amazing, to me, how many people here first encountered Keen a very long time after it came out - and how profound an effect it must have had on them to drive them to become heavily involved the PCKF rather than merely to dabble fleetingly.
GoldenRishi
Vortininja

Post by GoldenRishi »

Benvolio wrote:It is amazing, to me, how many people here first encountered Keen a very long time after it came out - and how profound an effect it must have had on them to drive them to become heavily involved the PCKF rather than merely to dabble fleetingly.
I think that Keen was sort of way ahead of it's time, in that it's basically an indie game. It's, imo, sort of like an atmospheric explorer and an RPG mixed into a standard run'n'gun 2-D platformer, and it was executed very well. Tom Hall's brilliance was in basically creating a feeling that everyone has and drawing on that feeling of being an inquisitive, adventurous child.
(Used to be LordofGlobox)
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

I think it must have been 1998 because I'm pretty sure I remember finding it notable (for some reason) that Keen was the same age I was at the time. And I would've been 8 in 1998 so assuming I actually remember this correctly it would've been then. I remember downloading the games from Compuserve or something similar and back then our modem's speed meant it'd take quite a while to download them, so sometimes the download had to be left overnight. I think. I'm not sure how much I can trust my memory for accurate details of things that happened when I was young sometimes.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I remember how long it took to download hexen wads.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass